Exploring the Generalization of Mercer's Theorem to Square Integrable Functions

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Mercer's theorem states that a n×n symmetric positive definite matrix has n positive eigenvalues and n orthogonal eigenvectors, and can be expressed as a linear combination ∑i=1n λi ei⊗ei. This result is extended to continuous symmetric positive definite functions on [a,b]×[a,b] by stating that the function can be expressed as ∑i=1∞ λi ei(x)ei(y) where ei are eigenfunctions of the associated linear operator. This theorem can also be generalized to square integrable functions defined on the whole domain ℝ2 instead of just [a,b]×[a,b].
mnb96
Hello,

if we consider a [itex]n\times n[/itex] symmetric positive definite matrix, we can prove that it has n positive eigenvalues and n orthogonal eigenvectors, and that such matrix can be expressed as a linear combination [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i e_i\otimes e_i[/itex]

Mercer's theorem extends this result to continuous symmetric positive definite functions [itex]K:[a,b]\times [a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by stating that K(x,y) can be expressed as [itex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty \lambda_i e_i(x)e_i(y)[/itex] where e_i are eigenfunctions of the linear operator associated with K.

My question is: can Mercer's theorem be generalized to square integrable functions K defined on the whole domain [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] instead of just [itex][a,b]\times[a,b][/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know mercer's theorem, but I quote Wikipedia:

"A recent generalization replaces this conditions by that follows: the set X is a first-countable topological space endowed with a Borel (complete) measure μ. X is the support of μ and, for all x in X, there is an open set U containing x and having finite measure. Then essentially the same result holds:

Theorem. Suppose K is a continuous symmetric non-negative definite kernel on X. If the function κ is L1μ(X), where κ(x)=K(x,x), for all x in X, then there is an orthonormal set {ei}i of L2μ(X) consisting of eigenfunctions of TKa such that corresponding sequence of eigenvalues {λi}i is nonnegative. The eigenfunctions corresponding to non-zero eigenvalues are continuous on X and K has the representation
K(s,t) = \sum_{j=1}^\infty \lambda_j \, e_j(s) \, e_j(t)
where the convergence is absolute and uniform on compact subsets of X."

1. What is Mercer's theorem?

Mercer's theorem is a mathematical theorem that is used in the field of functional analysis. It provides conditions for a function to be expressed as an integral of a product of two functions, known as the Mercer kernel.

2. What is the significance of Mercer's theorem?

Mercer's theorem is significant because it allows for the use of integral representations in solving problems in functional analysis. It is also used in machine learning, specifically in the field of support vector machines, to construct efficient algorithms for classification and regression.

3. What are the conditions for a function to satisfy Mercer's theorem?

The three main conditions for a function to satisfy Mercer's theorem are: it must be continuous, positive semi-definite, and square integrable. These conditions ensure that the Mercer kernel is well-defined and can be used in integral representations.

4. How is Mercer's theorem related to positive definite functions?

Mercer's theorem is closely related to positive definite functions because the Mercer kernel is a positive definite function. This means that for any finite set of points, the matrix formed by the evaluations of the Mercer kernel at those points is positive definite. Positive definite functions have many important properties and are used in various areas of mathematics and engineering.

5. Can Mercer's theorem be extended to functions of more than two variables?

Yes, Mercer's theorem can be extended to functions of more than two variables. This extended version is known as the multivariate Mercer theorem and is used in solving problems involving functions of multiple variables.