Exploring the Limited Impact of GR in Theoretical Cosmology

• Thread starter magicfountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Year
In summary: Usually, it is not required, but it is one of the two fundamental theories of modern physics. It is my personal opinion, but I think without GR, you are missing...a lot.
magicfountain
When is the first time a student of physics works with Einsteins field equation and does Friedmann cosmology?

Physics news on Phys.org
For most students that would be if they decide to do PhD student in cosmology.
There are Masters programs that cover GR, but they are not very common.

Note that GR is complettely unneccesary for the vast majority of physicists simply because there are few fields of modern physics where gravity plays a role at all, and when it does you can get away with Newtonian mechanics.
Hence, most will never study GR "properly" (I certainly never did).

I did it in my Bachelor/undergraduate (third year) at the level of Carroll's notes and the book by d'Inverno, which is quite feasible I think.

If you want GR you need to seek it out. Some schools offer it at undergrad level, but I don't think any require it. I have a professor who has never taken a GR course. He knows a fair amount about it because he's a bright guy, but he did his PhD in Quantum info which doesn't require any knowledge of GR.
Currently my school doesn't offer a PhD, but will starting Fall '13 (they have it planned out, but didn't finish in time to accept students this year). There is no plan to offer any GR courses.

magicfountain said:
When is the first time a student of physics works with Einsteins field equation and does Friedmann cosmology?

I have Ph.D. in physics, but I never took any courses on GR or cosmology.

Last edited:
It's relatively recently that GR has started to be offered widely as an elective undergrad course. I think the most influential book is Hartle's Gravity, which dumped the traditional pedagogy of developing tensors and then deriving everything from the field equations.

My PhD program (at Yale) didn't require GR, but I took it. Some of my colleagues never took GR in grad school.

If the motivation for the OP's original question is that s/he wants to learn GR now, then I would just suggest simply going ahead. There are GR books at all levels, including books like Geroch's Relativity from A to B, which uses no math at all but is nevertheless very logically rigorous. Just pick a book that's way too easy and go ahead and read it. Keep going until you reach the point where self-study becomes too difficult or time-consuming, then quit and wait to take a formal course.

I began learning GR when I was 15.

It's a shame that, at least intro, GR isn't typically required at the undergrad level...

At my school (I go to a UC) you can take GR as an elective for physics/astro. It's not required. It's also got so many pre reqs that you probably wouldn't be able to take it until your senior year.

TheEtherWind said:
It's a shame that, at least intro, GR isn't typically required at the undergrad level...

One of the great things about majoring in physics is that the number of units of required courses is relatively small (compared to, e.g., engineering or music), so you can get a real liberal arts education. I'd hate to see that changed by throwing in more requirements.

The June 2012 issue of Physics Today has an interesting article, "Teaching general relativity to undergraduates"

http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v65/i6/p41_s1

Click on the figures to expand them. Fig. 2 is quite interesting. I once taught a course that used Taylor and Wheeler's Exploring Black Holes as text, and that had only first-year physics and calculus as prerequisites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a GR course as an undergrad. (A long, long time ago.) We used Adler, Bazin, & Schiffer. But long before that I read Lillian Lieber's delightful book which I found in my high school library.

bcrowell said:
One of the great things about majoring in physics is that the number of units of required courses is relatively small (compared to, e.g., engineering or music), so you can get a real liberal arts education. I'd hate to see that changed by throwing in more requirements.

Where did you major in physics? I have to take a fifth year! (granted, only part of it, but still.)

soothsayer said:
Where did you major in physics? I have to take a fifth year! (granted, only part of it, but still.)

Berkeley. I'm not saying it's an easy or low-unit major, but it does require far fewer units than engineering or music.

If you are lucky, you can find a course which covers the required mathematics, too - not in depth as a mathematical course would do, but enough to get the concepts of GR. In this case, the usual bachelor courses should be sufficient to follow.

Usually, it is not required, but it is one of the two fundamental theories of modern physics. It is my personal opinion, but I think without GR, you are missing something.

I studied GR for the first time at the third year of university, but it was an optional course for physicist. And at master level there is a second exam about GR.
It depends on what your university offers, or if you want to study it by your self, you can start after high school!

GR requires a lot of effort to fully grasp it. Those tensors are real headache and they have practically very few real-life applications. Had I not spent so much time doing GR I would have easily learned 1 year of college-level physics instead. Yet something always fascinates me to understand GR. I think that only at GR level you can really appreciate the hidden deep beauty of mathematical thought.

GRstudent, I've to contradict you vehemently :-).

GR is a pretty straight-forward subject, concerning the physics. It's just a classical field theory for gravity and thus doesn't cause too much headaches (compared to quantum theory, which is much harder to swallow).

Scalars, vectors, tensors, and the corresponding fields are applicable everywhere in physics and engineering, and thus are affecting our everyday life to a great extent.

Last but not least GR is simply beautyful!

^
If you are so comfortable with messy equations why don't you help me find the Einstein Tensor of Schwarzschild Interior metric? You help on this important issue would be much appreciated!

Math part of GR consists of all math: Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, etc. What I mean what differential geometry which is used only in topology and GR.

bcrowell said:
Berkeley. I'm not saying it's an easy or low-unit major, but it does require far fewer units than engineering or music.

Santa Cruz. To be fair, I started on my physics requirements a little late, so I had to play a bit of catch-up, but my schedule was always packed with classes. I'm not sure how it compares to a lot of other majors though. I do know it is a highly regimented major, once you get in, it's basically a straight road as far as what classes you're taking when, and there's little chance for deviance outside of your elective choices (And there aren't many to choose from). Compared to, say, the psychology major, where I happen to know, at my school, you pretty much take classes willy-nilly. I do know a lot of physics majors who were able to do a minor (usually math, though I have no idea why they would have wanted to do that.)

GRstudent said:
they have practically very few real-life applications.

I guess this depends on what you consider "real-life applications". A quick list:

* GR is essential in making GPS work;

* GR is essential in understanding cosmology;

* GR is essential in understanding neutron stars and black holes.

* GR is essential in making GPS work;

Special Relativity is used in GPS making. The speed of a satellite is ~4km/sec so it has some time dilation. What strange is that, when I challenge the applications of GR, people always defend by making GPS example.

* GR is essential in understanding cosmology;

* GR is essential in understanding neutron stars and black holes.
These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job. GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.

GRstudent said:
Special Relativity is used in GPS making.

So is GR. And SR is a subset of GR.

GRstudent said:
The speed of a satellite is ~4km/sec so it has some time dilation.

The GPS satellites are also orbiting at 4.2 Earth radii, which is high enough that gravitational time dilation has a significant effect. So both SR and GR are necessary to make GPS work. But, as above, since SR is just a subset of GR, this is really the same as saying that GR is necessary to make GPS work.

GRstudent said:
These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job.

This is true, unless he's an engineer working on devices that are meant to observe these phenomena. But not everyone is an engineer. There are a lot of working scientists who deal with neutron stars and black holes, and cosmology.

GRstudent said:
GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.

I assume you mean "for most engineers". For people like those working scientists who deal with neutron stars and black holes, and cosmology, GR is required to explain observed data.

There are a lot of working scientists who deal with neutron stars and black holes, and cosmology.

I highly doubt that there are more neutron star and black hole physicists in the world than there are Engineers. I don't think that many students would do arduous work for relatively low salary.

While effects of GR are relevant for GPS, the system could work without knowledge of the theory, too: With classical mechanics, you could simply observe the frequency shift, and correct for it.

These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job. GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.
Most engineers do not need any modern physics, classical mechanics is a good approximation in most applications.

GRstudent said:
I highly doubt that there are more neutron star and black hole physicists in the world than there are Engineers.

I would certainly agree with that. But that doesn't mean the much smaller number of such physicists can't be working on "real world applications". Unless you are defining "real world applications" such that only engineers can work on them? That seems like quite a restrictive definition.

GRstudent said:
I don't think that many students would do arduous work for relatively low salary.

Grad students typically do "arduous work" for peanuts. When I was a grad student all I got, other than having tuition paid for (which was not insignificant, of course, but I never saw any of it), was a stipend for being a teaching assistant or research assistant, which was barely enough to pay for housing.

mfb said:
While effects of GR are relevant for GPS, the system could work without knowledge of the theory, too: With classical mechanics, you could simply observe the frequency shift, and correct for it.

When GPS was first launched, this was exactly what was done; they ran the satellites for a while *without* turning on the additional oscillators that compensated for the frequency shift, because a number of non-scientists involved didn't really believe the scientists' prediction that there would *be* a frequency shift. Only after they had confirmed that the clocks aboard the satellites were in fact running faster than ground clocks, by exactly the amount predicted by GR, did they turn on the additional oscillators on the satellites that corrected their "clock rates" to match those of ground clocks.

In principle you are right, this could have been done without knowledge of GR. But in practice, what would have happened without knowledge of GR is that the satellites would have been launched with no way of compensating for the clock rate difference, and once that difference was observed, the whole thing would have had to be scrapped and re-done. So knowledge of GR certainly had a large practical effect in this case.

mfb said:
Most engineers do not need any modern physics, classical mechanics is a good approximation in most applications.

Quite true.

^
Yeah, I agree with you guys.

If we wish to discuss the need of GR we should start a new thread because I recall some guy saying to me not to go off topic ("hijack a thread"). I mean this thread is related to the timeline of learning GR so it has little to do with its importance.

mfb said:
Usually, it is not required, but it is one of the two fundamental theories of modern physics. It is my personal opinion, but I think without GR, you are missing something.

This. Restricting the discussion to only physicists (i.e. not engineers), it seems ridiculous to have someone not learn ANY GR. With the pedagogy of Hartle, you can tackle the subject easily in 3rd year of undergraduate or earlier, with no more difficulty than an upper division classical mechanics course. So in terms of educational difficulty, there's really no barrier.

A degree in physics is not, in my opinion, a collection of real world job skills to be used in future employment. It's largely a theoretical endeavor, which can be evidenced pretty well by the development of thermodynamics from a physics perspective. So to have a physics degree without even having encountered one of the two fundamental pillars of modern physics...

there's really no barrier.

Tensors and Differential Geometry is the main obstacle to me (and to many other students as well, I am sure). The problem is that nowhere is given a clear (in normal simple language) and explanation of GR ( in particular, Einstein Field Equations). I as a beginner, can only see the a lot of complicated formulas which are not accompanied by conventional thinking. For example, Walter Lewin's lectures; when he talked about Mechanics he made me "see through equations"; not just stare at them as I do now; but to really understand the logic. I think we have this problem because GR as a college level class is highly undervalued.

GRstudent said:
Tensors and Differential Geometry is the main obstacle to me (and to many other students as well, I am sure). The problem is that nowhere is given a clear (in normal simple language) and explanation of GR ( in particular, Einstein Field Equations). I as a beginner, can only see the a lot of complicated formulas which are not accompanied by conventional thinking. For example, Walter Lewin's lectures; when he talked about Mechanics he made me "see through equations"; not just stare at them as I do now; but to really understand the logic.

Well you're also comparing, at the level of Lewin, a theory based on a very simple set of DEs to the EFEs which are non - linear and MUCH more complicated in terms of the entities involved. Things aren't going to be as "visual" per say. But GR does have a very clear and incredibly elegant explanation with its formulation using riemannian manifolds. Many textbooks explain it well; Hartle's text was mentioned above and my personal favorite, Carroll's text.

Nabeshin said:
This. Restricting the discussion to only physicists (i.e. not engineers), it seems ridiculous to have someone not learn ANY GR. With the pedagogy of Hartle, you can tackle the subject easily in 3rd year of undergraduate or earlier, with no more difficulty than an upper division classical mechanics course. So in terms of educational difficulty, there's really no barrier.

Funny you should say that because I have seen many unis where a very good amount of general relativity is added on to the intermediate classical mechanics classes (the Taylor level ones).

WannabeNewton said:
Well you're also comparing, at the level of Lewin, a theory based on a very simple set of DEs to the EFEs which are non - linear and MUCH more complicated in terms of the entities involved. Things aren't going to be as "visual" per say. But GR does have a very clear and incredibly elegant explanation with its formulation using riemannian manifolds. Many textbooks explain it well; Hartle's text was mentioned above and my personal favorite, Carroll's text.

I agree, Hartle's motivation seems pretty good to me. After all, he takes a 'physics first' approach and although it takes 22 (or 24, I can't remember) chapters to get to the EFE, once you do get there I feel like it's very well, perhaps overmotivated.

Also the tensor issue is something a student shouldn't really have -- they should encounter these objects already in upper division E&M and classical mechanics courses, although perhaps not quite so many of them. It's perhaps frustrating algebraically, similar to keeping track of minus signs, but really shouldn't impede the understanding very much.

WannabeNewton said:
Funny you should say that because I have seen many unis where a very good amount of general relativity is added on to the intermediate classical mechanics classes (the Taylor level ones).

Really? Is this just in the sense of adding an extra term from the post-Newtonian expansion into the Lagrangian from the Kepler problem? Or calculus of variation on the Einstein-Hilbert action? I'm curious!

Nabeshin said:
Also the tensor issue is something a student shouldn't really have -- they should encounter these objects already in upper division E&M and classical mechanics courses, although perhaps not quite so many of them. It's perhaps frustrating algebraically, similar to keeping track of minus signs, but really shouldn't impede the understanding very much.

Indeed and even if they haven't had that exposure, going back to Hartle's text, there are copious amounts of worked examples as well as problems to get the person acquainted with the necessary algebra and calculus of tensors. From some people I know at cornell and carnegie mellon I know there are one semester courses on GR that use the very same text. I'm sure other places do as well for undergraduate courses.