Exploring the Limits: Evaluating a Complex Fraction

In summary, when evaluating the limit as x approaches negative infinity of the function (x^6+8)^{1/3} / (4x^2+(3x^4+1)^{1/2}), it is helpful to factor out x^2 from the numerator and denominator and use the binomial expansion to find the limit. It is important to remember that the square root of x^6 is not always equal to -x^3 and depends on the sign of x. In this case, the answer is -sqrt(3).
ciubba

Homework Statement

Find [tex]lim_{x->- \infty} \; \frac{(x^6+8)^{1/3}}{4x^2+(3x^4+1)^{1/2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Factoring out [tex]\frac {(-x^6)^{1/3}}{-x^2}[/tex] leaves me with [tex]\frac{(-1-8x^{-6})}{-4+(3+x^{-4})^{1/2
}}[/tex] Taking the limit at infinity gives me [tex]\frac{-1}{-4+3^{1/2}}[/tex], which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ciubba said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

Factoring out [tex]\frac {(-x^6)^{1/3}}{-x^2}[/tex] leaves me with [tex]\frac{(-1-8x^{-6})}{-4+(3+x^{-4})^{1/2
}}[/tex] Taking the limit at infinity gives me [tex]\frac{-1}{-4+3^{1/2}}[/tex], which is wrong.
Why not factor out (x^2/x^2) on the top?... i.e. lim x-> -inf [1+8/x^6]^(1/3) / [4 + SQRT(3+ 1/x^4)]

Your arithmetic is wrong (in the denominator).

ciubba said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

Why not use ##(x^6+8)^{1/3} = (x^6)^{1/3} (1 + 8 x^{-6})^{1/3} \doteq x^2 [1 + (8/3)x^{-6} + O(x^{-12}) ]##, and a similar result for ##(3 x^4 + 1)^{1/2}##?

Svein said:
Your arithmetic is wrong (in the denominator).
Ah, you're right. it should be MINUS root 3 because [tex]\sqrt{x^4}=-x^2[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
\doteq x^2 [1 + (8/3)x^{-6} + O(x^{-12}) ]
I don't understand how you arrived at this part.

Quantum Defect said:
Why not factor out (x^2/x^2) on the top?... i.e. lim x-> -inf [1+8/x^6]^(1/3) / [4 + SQRT(3+ 1/x^4)]
If I factored out positive x^2, how would I evaluate x at - infinity? Wouldn't I just evaluate at positive infinity, which happens to produce the same result in this case?

ciubba said:
[snip]

If I factored out positive x^2, how would I evaluate x at - infinity? Wouldn't I just evaluate at positive infinity, which happens to produce the same result in this case?

Factoring out +x^2 says nothing about what the sign of x is, does it?

The function whose limit is being evaluated is an even function of x, no? f(-x) = f(x) Wouldn't they be expected to have the same limit for very large positive and very large negative values of x?

ciubba said:
Ah, you're right. it should be MINUS root 3 because [tex]\sqrt{x^4}=-x^2[/tex]I don't understand how you arrived at this part.

Do you agree that ##(x^6+8)^{1/3} = (x^6)^{1/3} (1 + 8 x^{-6})^{1/3} = x^2 (1 + 8 x^{-6})^{1/3}##? If so, then do you agree that we can apply the general binomial expansion? This would be ##(1+v)^r = 1 + rv + O(v^2)##, which holds for ##|v| < 1## and any real ##r## (positive, negative, rational, irrational---anything). If so, just let ##v = 8/x^6## and ##r = 1/3##.

ciubba said:
Ah, you're right. it should be MINUS root 3 because [tex]\sqrt{x^4}=-x^2[/tex]

Can you link me the formula for that expansion? I've never seen it before.

Where did the O(v^2) come from? The formula seems to stop at 1+rv.

ciubba said:
Can you link me the formula for that expansion? I've never seen it before.

Google "binomial expansion". Alternatively, just apply the Maclauren (Taylor) series around ##v=0## to the function ##f(v) = (1+v)^r##.

I won't be learning about power series until the end of next semester, so it's likely that your explanation is a bit above my level for the time being.

I'm still a bit confused by why it's - root 3.

The only example problem in my book defines (x^6)^1/2= - x^3, but when they factor [tex]\sqrt{25x^6}[/tex] it comes out to +5 rather than -5.

ciubba said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

}}[/tex]
No, it doesn't. It leaves you with [tex]\frac{(-1-8x^{-6})}{-4- (3+x^{-4})^{1/2
}}[/tex]

Taking the limit at infinity gives me [tex]\frac{-1}{-4+3^{1/2}}[/tex], which is wrong.

ciubba said:
Why doesn't the root 25 change sign in the following picture: http://s10.postimg.org/qb9mxcsmf/1243124.png

It's the same idea except that instead of [tex]
\sqrt{x^4}=-x^2[/tex] we have [tex]\sqrt{x^6}=-x^3[/tex]

We should NOT have
[tex] \sqrt{x^4} = -x^2 \:\longleftarrow\;\text{wrong!}[/tex]
For any real ##x## we have ##\sqrt{x^4} = x^2## (because ##\sqrt{x^4} > 0 ## and ## x^2 > 0## if ##x \neq 0##; this is the same, whether ##x## is positive or negative. However, ##\sqrt{x^6}## is different. Again, we always have ##\sqrt{x^6} > 0##, but now ##x^3## is >0 if ##x > 0## and is < 0 if ##x < 0##. In fact, if ##x < 0## then ##x^3 < 0##, so we need ##\sqrt{x^6} = -x^3## in that case (where ##x < 0##). On the other hand, if ##x > 0## then we have ##\sqrt{x^6} = x^3##. To summarize:
[tex] \sqrt{x^4} = x^2 \;\; \text{always}\\
\sqrt{x^6} = \begin{cases} x^3 & \text{if} \;\; x > 0 \\
-x^3 & \text{if} \;\; x < 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Exploring the Limits: Evaluating a Complex Fraction

1. What is a complex fraction?

A complex fraction is a fraction in which the numerator, denominator, or both contain fractions or mixed numbers.

2. How do you simplify a complex fraction?

To simplify a complex fraction, you must first find the common denominator of all the fractions within the complex fraction. Then, you can combine the numerators and write the result over the common denominator.

3. Can a complex fraction be written as a mixed number or whole number?

Yes, a complex fraction can be written as a mixed number or whole number by dividing the numerator by the denominator and then expressing the remainder as a fraction.

4. What are some real-life applications of complex fractions?

Complex fractions are commonly used in cooking and baking recipes, as well as in business and finance for calculating interest rates and exchange rates.

5. How do complex fractions relate to division of fractions?

Complex fractions are essentially division problems, as they involve dividing one fraction by another. The process of simplifying complex fractions is similar to dividing fractions, as both require finding a common denominator and then dividing the numerators.