Exploring the Materials and Magnetism of Keys: A Quick Question

• Thread starter rockhouse
  • Start date
In summary, keys work by fitting into a corresponding lock and turning to unlock or lock a door or object. They can be duplicated by a locksmith or at a hardware store. A master key is a special type of key that can unlock multiple locks within a system. To maintain your keys, avoid getting them wet or exposing them to extreme temperatures, and regularly clean and lubricate them. If you lose your keys, you should retrace your steps and contact a locksmith for security purposes.
rockhouse
What are they made of? Is it brass with a zinc coating? My son dropped our only house key through the slats on the porch and the only way to get it is possibly with a magnet...are keys magnetic?
I'm at work and there's no magnets around to try and see...thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They're not generally magnetic, no.

If they're on one of those rings however, the ring is going to be magnetic.

Good luck fishing for them... :(

A coat hanger won't work?

Related to Exploring the Materials and Magnetism of Keys: A Quick Question

1. How do keys work?

Keys work by fitting into a corresponding lock and turning to unlock or lock a door or object. The unique shape of each key allows it to only fit into its designated lock.

2. Can keys be duplicated?

Yes, keys can be duplicated by a locksmith or at a hardware store. However, some high-security keys may require special authorization for duplication.

3. What is a master key?

A master key is a special type of key that can unlock multiple locks within a system. It is often used in buildings or facilities where different groups or individuals require access to different areas.

4. How do I maintain my keys?

To maintain your keys, avoid getting them wet or exposing them to extreme temperatures. It is also important to regularly clean and lubricate your keys to prevent them from getting stuck in locks.

5. What should I do if I lose my keys?

If you lose your keys, you should first retrace your steps to see if you can find them. If they are still missing, you should contact a locksmith to have your locks rekeyed or replaced for security purposes.