Exploring the Nosé Hoover Thermostat for MD Simulations

• Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulations
In summary, the Nosé Hoover Thermostat is used in molecular dynamics simulations to create a canonical ensemble. The virtual variable q is not dependent on time, while real time is represented by t'. The new variable s is also with respect to t' and q=q' means that the virtual coordinate q is equivalent to the real coordinate q' at a given time t.
SchroedingersLion
Hi,

is anyone here familiar with the Nosé Hoover Thermostat for the realization of a canonical ensemble in a molecular dynamics simulation?

I have a few questions to the derivation and I only have the original paper of Nosé where the basics are derived. I uploaded it here: http://docdro.id/83YghJO
The section IIA.

My questions:
1) does virtual variable also imply virtual time? E.g., is the virtual coordinate q dependent on the virtual time t or can you write the virtual q both way, with virtual time t and with real time t'?

2) Is he using the new variable s with respect to virtual time t or with respect to real time t'?

3) What does q=q' mean? Does that mean that, if you insert the same virtual time t in q and q', both are identical? Or does that mean q(t)=q'(t') where t' is the point in time that corresponds to t? Or is that the same... I am confused.

In case someone knows, I would appreciate the help!

Regards

Technology news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for your questions about the Nosé Hoover Thermostat. I am familiar with this thermostat and I will do my best to answer your questions based on my understanding.

1) In the context of the Nosé Hoover Thermostat, the virtual variable refers to the fictitious coordinate q, which is used to describe the dynamics of the system. This virtual coordinate is not dependent on time, but rather serves as a mathematical construct to help simulate the dynamics of the system. Time is still represented by the real time t' in the equations.

2) The new variable s is also with respect to real time t'. This variable is used to create a Hamiltonian for the system that includes the thermostat.

3) In this context, q=q' means that the virtual coordinate q is equivalent to the real coordinate q' at a given time t. In other words, q(t)=q'(t') where t' is the corresponding time for the virtual coordinate q.

I hope this helps clarify some of your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Exploring the Nosé Hoover Thermostat for MD Simulations

1. What is the Nosé Hoover thermostat?

The Nosé Hoover thermostat is a method commonly used in molecular dynamics (MD) simulations to maintain a constant temperature in the system. It is based on the Nosé-Hoover equations of motion, which introduce a fictitious heat bath to control the kinetic energy of the atoms in the system.

2. How does the Nosé Hoover thermostat work?

The Nosé Hoover thermostat works by periodically rescaling the velocities of the particles in the system based on their temperature and the desired temperature set by the user. This allows the system to maintain a constant temperature throughout the simulation.

3. What are the advantages of using the Nosé Hoover thermostat?

The Nosé Hoover thermostat has several advantages, including its ability to maintain a constant temperature in the system, even when large changes in energy occur. It also allows for better sampling of the phase space and reduces the risk of the system getting stuck in local energy minima.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Nosé Hoover thermostat?

One limitation of the Nosé Hoover thermostat is that it requires a user-defined value for the desired temperature. If this value is not chosen carefully, it can lead to non-physical results in the simulation. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with strong energy fluctuations or when studying rare events.

5. How can the Nosé Hoover thermostat be implemented in MD simulations?

The Nosé Hoover thermostat can be implemented in MD simulations through various software packages, such as GROMACS, AMBER, and NAMD. Each package may have slightly different settings and parameters for the thermostat, so it is important to consult the documentation and literature to ensure proper implementation and understanding of the results.