Exploring the Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Beyond

• Thread starter dilsfunspot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the belief in the Big Bang theory and the question of where the matter came from to allow it to happen. The possibility of other universes with different laws of matter is also brought up, along with two main possibilities for how energy and matter could be created in these universes. The speaker asks for flaws in their personal theory and for widely accepted theories that are more plausible, and is directed to references on inflation, the Big Bounce, and the multiverse.
dilsfunspot
I, along with many other people, believe (for the most part) in the big bang. However matter cannot be created or destroyed, so where did it come from to allow the big bang to happen in the first place? I also believe that there are countless other universes much like our own. I was wondering if its possible that perhaps one of these universes has different laws of matter than our own and that matter can be created and or destroyed. From this i hatched 2 main possibilities: either this universe has so much energy in it that it can actually create new universes or there are already empty universes and they somehow temporarily connect with the other one allowing energy/matter to fill it. Could someone please point out all the flaws in this personal theory of mine, and also give a couple of widely accepted theories that are more plausible?

Space news on Phys.org
dilsfunspot said:
Could someone please point out all the flaws in this personal theory of mine, and also give a couple of widely accepted theories that are more plausible?

Welcome to PF. I'm sorry to say that personal theories however aren't so welcome (check out rules) :)

Check these references for some credible ideas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

Last edited:

Related to Exploring the Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Beyond

1. How did the universe begin?

The most widely accepted theory is the Big Bang Theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity - an infinitely small and dense point - and expanded rapidly around 13.8 billion years ago. However, the exact cause of the Big Bang is still unknown and subject to ongoing scientific research and theories.

2. What existed before the Big Bang?

This is a question that scientists are still trying to answer. Some theories suggest that there was nothing before the Big Bang, while others propose that there may have been a previous universe or multiverse that collapsed and led to the Big Bang. However, without concrete evidence, this remains a topic of speculation.

3. Is the universe infinite?

The observable universe is not infinite, but it is constantly expanding. This means that the universe has a finite age and size, but it is constantly growing and expanding into the vastness of space. However, it is still unknown whether the universe as a whole is infinite or not.

4. How was matter created in the early universe?

The Big Bang Theory states that a few moments after the universe began, energy transformed into matter in a process called "cosmic inflation". As the universe continued to expand and cool, particles of matter combined to form atoms, which eventually formed stars, galaxies, and all other matter in the universe.

5. What is the role of dark matter and dark energy in the early universe?

Dark matter and dark energy are two components that make up a majority of the universe, but their exact nature and role in the early universe are still a mystery. Some theories suggest that dark matter played a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and large structures in the universe, while dark energy is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.