Exploring the Science of Building Codes: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter CodeScience
  • Start date
In summary, the science of building codes is a critical aspect of construction that ensures safety, efficiency, and sustainability in building structures. From a scientist's perspective, building codes are based on extensive research and scientific principles to regulate and standardize various aspects of construction, including materials, design, and safety measures. These codes are constantly evolving to keep up with advancements in technology and to address new challenges in the industry. By adhering to building codes, scientists and engineers can create structures that are not only functional and aesthetically pleasing, but also safe and environmentally responsible.
CodeScience
Hi! I work in the sphere of buildings, and the building codes (i.e. structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical).
I have a BS in physics that I got in the paleolithic age. It was tough carving my homework into stone tablets.
I enjoy, and sometimes find a real need, to consider the underlying science as I try to address unusual situations in my work and, more generally, understand and explain why things are as they are (or, why they should be different).
When I'm not thinking about buildings, I think about bicycles, computers, history, thought and thoughtlessness (mostly in the zen sense but sometimes too in the rude sense) and, well, just about everything.
I'll probably bring weird questions that relate to real situations here, but I am also hoping to develop some "The Science of Building Codes" presentations, so if that grows legs I might bounce ideas around.
Thanks!
keith

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

That's an interesting background.

Please have a look at our guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/#post-66018
We don't allow personal theories. While a building code is not a scientific theory, please try not to cross that line. Codes are often developed like laws in Congress; as compromises between many interested parties and conflicting interests. They are not always logical or scientific.

It is also not our mission to advance the state of the art of science or engineering.

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community. As our name suggests, our main focus is on physics, but we also have forums for most other academic areas including engineering, chemistry, biology, social sciences, etc.

We also have an Insights Blog where members write articles, including tutorials that are published after our review. A tutorial on building codes might be valuable.

Sure, I think I understand: you don't want to get bogged down with the latest in perpetual motion!
Frankly, many of my questions & shares will probably be a bit more engineery rather than sciency: applied science, if you like.
And yes, you are correct: building codes are made in sausage factories. Don't ask, don't tell. More seriously, it's fairly transparent, but there are lots of moving parts, lots of participants, lots of subtleties, so the implications can be hard to discern.
However, I'm here only to think about the science-related aspects. I can't imagine I will venture beyond the edges of "mainstream science", though the science pedagogue in me wants to bicker about the process and development of science, make references to Kuhn, etc. I'll try to restrain myself ;-)

Likes anorlunda
CodeScience said:
I have a BS in physics that I got in the paleolithic age.

It's okay. Some of our members (@phinds) remember when stone was first discovered. I hear the entire age was set in motion by a stubbed toe.

Likes phinds and anorlunda
Drakkith said:
It's okay. Some of our members (@phinds) remember when stone was first discovered. I hear the entire age was set in motion by a stubbed toe.
It was a rocky time as I recall.

Likes Drakkith