Exploring the Speed of Neutrinos vs. Photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of neutrinos and their speed compared to light. The speaker mentions reading about neutrinos being faster than photons, but clarifies that this was a mistake and that there is no evidence supporting this. They also mention that recent experiments suggest neutrinos have mass and therefore travel slower than light. The conversation ends with a reminder about the forum's rules regarding personal theories.
hoseinkh
hello everyone
I have a question , that is like a story " I talking with my friend about Neutrino and ...
" I had written about it at wikipedia and they said that the speed of Neutrino not more than Photons , but I had read that they are faster than Photons speed.
which one is true?!
I am sorry about maybe i have a Grammatical mistake,because English is not my mother tongue.
thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrinos are not faster than light. :)

I think what you read about them being "faster than photons" was from a press report given out by CERN a couple of years back when they had an anomalous result in one of their detectors suggesting neutrinos traveled faster than light. As it turned out, it was just a fiber optic cable that was not plugged in properly if I remember correctly. In other words, it was just a mistake on CERN's part. There is no evidence that neutrinos travel faster than light.

Neutrinos do not travel faster than photons. Recent experiments suggest that neutrinos have mass, so they must travel slower than light. But their mass is so very small and they interact so little with matter that it's very difficult to measure their speed. This difficulty has led to a few errors in measuring their speed that gave a result that was greater than the speed of light, but these errors were corrected and the measured speed was brought back down to the expected values.

OK got it ;) thank you ;) Drakkith and Matterwave
then there is nothing faster than light, but i have Hypothesis about this rule but i can not writte it , my English is not good excuse me.

hoseinkh said:
OK got it ;) thank you ;) Drakkith and Matterwave
then there is nothing faster than light, but i have Hypothesis about this rule but i can not writte it , my English is not good excuse me.

Indeed there is nothing as far as we know that goes faster than light.

Be sure to check out the PF rules though, as personal theories are not allowed in this forum. Just a friendly reminder. ;)

Matterwave said:
Indeed there is nothing as far as we know that goes faster than light.

Be sure to check out the PF rules though, as personal theories are not allowed in this forum. Just a friendly reminder. ;)

OK thanks

Related to Exploring the Speed of Neutrinos vs. Photons

1. How do the speeds of neutrinos and photons compare?

The speed of neutrinos and photons are both incredibly fast, but neutrinos are slightly faster. Neutrinos travel at nearly the speed of light, while photons travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. This means that neutrinos are just a tiny bit faster than photons.

2. Why are neutrinos and photons important to study?

Neutrinos and photons are important to study because they are both fundamental particles that make up the universe. They also play a crucial role in many physical processes, such as nuclear reactions and the formation of stars. Studying their speeds can help us better understand the fundamentals of the universe.

3. How do scientists measure the speed of neutrinos and photons?

The speed of neutrinos and photons can be measured using sophisticated equipment, such as particle accelerators and detectors. Scientists can also observe the behavior of these particles in different environments and under different conditions to determine their speeds.

4. What are some potential implications of the speed difference between neutrinos and photons?

The speed difference between neutrinos and photons may have implications for our understanding of the laws of physics. It could also impact our understanding of the early universe and the role of these particles in its formation. Additionally, this difference in speed could potentially have practical applications in technology and communication.

5. Can the speed of neutrinos and photons change?

The speed of neutrinos and photons is believed to be constant, according to Einstein's theory of relativity. However, there are some theoretical models that suggest that the speed of neutrinos may vary based on their energy levels. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the implications of this possibility.