Exploring the Stigma of IQ and Mental Illness in American Culture

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
In summary: The motivation for "not being a moron", finding a mate, is often insufficient, to escape the disgusting moronic state, he/she must devote themselves completely to intellect. It has a strong religious connotation to it, but society seems to have adopted.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is a duplicate from the "mind and brain sciences forum", if the moderators are to delete one of the posts, please delete the one in the latter.

Have any of you read Goddard's written work, I think it's called "Who is the moron?" He describes the moron as particularly dangerous, because apparently, they have inadequate IQs, however unlike the lower IQ "imbecile" and "idiot", the moron still possesses the need to procreate, and by doing so devastates the state of mankind with offspring that suffer the same state, to grow up to become monster Frankensteins.

To what extent do you all feel that his work has influenced the American culture? While many may not be familiar with his work, I think that this stigma is still a big aspect of today's society, the concept has been passed on so to speak.

That is, while the American culture seems to have distanced itself somewhat from that of religious stigmas, the IQ stigma still remains, perhaps even more strongly than before, to that of a "hell and heaven" effect. Nobody wants to be a "freak","idiot","imbecile" etc...and the media seems to be very attentative to this aspect of things. That is, to alleviate the matter, as well as enforce it in many instances. So despite the fact that his work is regarded as pseudoscience, people still seem to embrace these concepts, and perhaps for the better, perhaps this is why the American attitude of things is superior, because we have adopted his criteria in the form of a strong selection process.

The idea here is that those of us that don't have the intelligence and talents to be productive are doomed to do something incredibly stupid and detrimental, to digress to a criminal state. So it seems that people have a lot of motivation to at least appear busy and preoccupied, to avoid this stigma; and to indicate sufficient IQs which increases their chances of finding a mate. However, even the latter is a bit redundant in the sense that we are all expected to settle down by a certain age, and only the moron has trouble finding a higher intellectual calling. That is the motivation for "not being a moron", finding a mate, is often insufficient, to escape the disgusting moronic state, he/she must devote themselves completely to intellect. It has a strong religious connotation to it, but society seems to have adopted. It's a religious ideal, except in a more constructive form.

I wonder how many people have being a moron diagonis on there medical record

another issue I wanted to present was whether such a stigma would contribute to an increased prevalence in mental illness or would rather decrease the occurence, since perhaps, people have something that they can aspire to. A popular notion is that mental illness is a selfish trait.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On the contrary, stupidity is a very popular societal trait, a prerequisite for being "cool". Who's Goddard, some sort of crazy eugenics guy?

I am proud to be a moron, as i do not have to worry about all the things
you higher beings have to.

wolram said:
I am proud to be a moron, as i do not have to worry about all the things
you higher beings have to.
Maybe you should chage your username

It looks like moron was orginally a "[URL
Moron was originally a scientific term, coined by psychologist Henry Goddard from a Greek word meaning "foolish" and used to describe a person with a genetically determined mental age between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale. It was also once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70 and was a step up from "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and two steps up from "idiot" (IQ of 0-25). The word moron, along with "retarded" and "feeble-minded" (among others), was once considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, though these words have all now passed into common slang use, exclusively in a detrimental context.
I wonder how many people have being a moron diagonis on there medical record.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the contrary, stupidity is a very popular societal trait, a prerequisite for being "cool". Who's Goddard, some sort of crazy eugenics guy?

yep, he somewhat advocated for the sterilization of people with a particular IQ range, for people which he termed "morons." People with lower IQs then the moron's which fit into the "idiot" and "imbecile" category didn't need to be sterilized since they were supposedly clueless, and lacked any motivations whatsoever; without any "life" inside.

Yeah, you seem to be right, stupidity is at times deemed popular in high school. It's sort of an attempt to form, a lower standard of things, I think. However, I think that this "shield" somewhat wears off, by the time one is ready (or not) to go to college. Real world prospect becomes more important.

I wonder how many people have being a moron diagonis on there medical record

another thing I wanted to present was whether such a stigma would contribute to an increased prevalence in mental illness or would rather decrease the occurence, since perhaps, people have something that they can aspire to. A popular notion is that mental illness is a selfish trait.

If i say, i am a moron people will not expect much from me, just leave me alone, but it does not work.

"Don't criticize people for something they can't help."

-- A Moron

Yeah, i think that some of the comments posted on this forum is similar to the attitude of most college students. Rather then appearing stupid, they choose not to engage in any sort of academic interest they might already possess. In another words, they never get started. Nobody appears smart the first time they try to understand something, the process is essentially, that of naievety. Perhaps those who are more bold or don't have any social connections, wish to make something of themselves and thus they ask the questions in the classrooms. But most people seem to want to stick together, appearing socially intelligent. Another problematic aspect of this kind of dynamic is that the intelligent person, those who have the genuine talents, face the stigma also. This person becomes a threat, so the group has more incentives to curse him/her to a state where he/she becomes a moron in some form.

At the moment, there's more incentive on the part of the government to introduce more social pressures of increasing the math and science aptitude, see that we are falling way behind. So an important question is of whether such concepts, as Goddard's, are ultimately detrimental, as it seems that young students are now trying to escape the "moronic state" they are comprimising any potential which they might possess. So I don't think that the generation is passive about such matters, it's simply that they (consciously or unconsciously) feel the need to approach the matter more conservatively.

1. What is the definition of a moron?

A moron is a term used to describe someone who is considered foolish, stupid, or lacking intelligence.

2. How is a moron different from an idiot or imbecile?

In the past, the terms moron, idiot, and imbecile were used as medical classifications for individuals with varying levels of intellectual disabilities. However, today these terms are considered outdated and offensive. They are no longer used in a medical context and are now used more casually to insult someone's intelligence.

3. Can someone be diagnosed as a moron?

No, the term moron is not a medical diagnosis. It is simply a derogatory term used to insult someone's intelligence.

4. Is being a moron a permanent state?

No, being a moron is not a permanent state. Intelligence is not fixed and can change over time. What may be considered a "moronic" action or behavior can also vary depending on cultural and societal norms.

5. Is it okay to use the term moron?

While the term moron may be commonly used in casual conversation, it is important to be aware of its offensive connotations. It is not acceptable to use this term to insult or belittle someone's intelligence. Instead, it is important to treat others with respect and kindness, regardless of their perceived intelligence level.