Exploring Your Post-College Options for Particle Science

In summary, particle physicists typically pursue a career in academia or large research laboratories like CERN. Some may also work in various industries using their problem-solving skills, but not necessarily in the field of particle physics. However, pursuing a career in particle physics can be risky as it may limit job opportunities outside of academia.
choc1202
How to start...

So, say I get to know a decent amount of particle science, what next next? How would I go further? After collage, what would I do?

Physics news on Phys.org

It sounds like you are barely starting out. Uusual sequence is college, grad. school for doctorate, post doc., position at university or research institute.

I know this, I am purly asking so I can learn more about what exactly particle physics can do.

choc1202 said:
I know this, I am purly asking so I can learn more about what exactly particle physics can do.

Particle physicists primarily work as researchers in universities or at large laboratories like CERN. Other than that they can go into industry and work as consultants, engineers, programmers, lobbyists, financial analysts, etc. However, those that go into industry will not be doing anything related to particle physics; rather, they will take their training as "advanced problem solvers" and work to solve problems that companies have.

To be honest I think that particle physics is one of the riskier fields of physics to go into because if you don't make it in academia then you won't be doing anything related. If you're fine with that then definitely go for it.

I know of a particle physics PhD who is now a climate scientist estimating the future average temperature of the planet.

Related to Exploring Your Post-College Options for Particle Science

1. What is particle science?

Particle science is a branch of science that studies the behavior, properties, and interactions of particles at a microscopic level. These particles can range from atoms and molecules to subatomic particles such as electrons and protons.

2. What career options are available in particle science?

There are various career options available in particle science, including research and development positions in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and energy. Other possibilities include working in government agencies, academia, or as a science writer or educator.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in particle science?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a career in particle science. Many entry-level positions in this field only require a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as physics, chemistry, or engineering.

4. What skills are important for a career in particle science?

Some important skills for a career in particle science include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, good communication skills and a strong understanding of mathematics and scientific principles are crucial.

5. What steps should I take to explore my post-college options in particle science?

To explore your post-college options in particle science, you can start by researching different industries and job opportunities in this field. You can also network with professionals in particle science and consider internships or research opportunities to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, consider pursuing advanced education or certifications to enhance your skills and qualifications.