1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explosion of a Mass Homework Help

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object with total mass mtotal = 16.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 5 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 25° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 27 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.4 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 30° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 21.8 m/s. What is the x-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the y-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that for both components, the velocities of all three masses equal 0 when added together (v1_x+v2_x+v3_x=0 and same for y component). I know how to solve for the center of mass using the velocities but I need to figure out the velocity components of the third mass first.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried this many ways but the one that seems correct to me would be...
    v1_x = -27 m/s * cos (25) =-24.47 m/s
    v2_x = 21.8 m/s * sin (30) = 10.9 m/s
    v3_x = -v1_x - v2_x = 24.47 m/s - 10.9 m/s = 13.57 m/s
    v1_y = 27 m/s * sin (25) = 11.41 m/s
    v2_y = -21.8 m/s * cos (30) = -18.88 m/s
    v3_y = -v1_y - v2_y = -11.41 m/s + 18.88 m/s = 7.47 m/s
    However, none of these answers are correct according to the program I am using.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.
    No. The momentum of all three masses, when added together, equals zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook