1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential distribution, two exercises

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Waiting time in a restaurant is exponentially distributed variable, with average of 4 minutes. What is the probability, that a student will in at least 4 out of 6 days get his meal in less than 3 minutes?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I understand correctly I could say that ##f(t)=e^{-\lambda t}##, meaning ##P(t<3)=\int_{0}^{3}\omega (t)dt=\int_{0}^{3}(\frac{f(t)}{dt})dt=\int_{0}^{3}\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt##

Ok? This is now probability that a student will get his meal in less than 3 minutes, so the probability that it would take longer is ##1-P(t<3)## and the final result should be something like ##\sum_{i=4}^{6}\begin{pmatrix}
    6\\
    i
    \end{pmatrix}p^{i}(1-p)^{6-i}##

Does this sound right? How do I determine ##\lambda##???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Elapsed time until a device suddenly stops working is exponentially distributed with median 4h. Calculate the probability, that the device will work at least for 5 hours!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Very different as before, but still have no idea how to get ##\lambda##???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is unfortunate; the usual expression for the density of the exponential is
    [tex]f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l} \lambda e^{-\lambda t},\; t \geq 0\\
    f(t) = 0, \;t < 0 \end{array} \right. [/tex] The (cumulative) distribution function is
    [tex] F(t) = \int_0^t f(x) \, dx = 1 - e^{-\lambda t},[/tex]
    while the complementatry cumulative is ##P\{ T > t \} = 1 - F(t) = e^{-\lambda t}.##

You get the mean by using standard formulas found in any textbook or on-line. Alternatively, you can perform the integration ##E T = \int_0^{\infty} t f(t) \, dt## and see what you get.

BTW: the easiest way to get a binomial coefficient in TeX is to use the command {n \choose m}, which gives ##{n \choose m}.##

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  4. Jul 14, 2013 #3
    That is what I had in my head. =)

Hmmm... Just cheking:##F(t)=\int_{0}^{t }f(t)dt=\int_{0}^{t }e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }\int_{0}^{u_1 }e^{u}du=\frac{1}{\lambda }(1-e^{-\lambda t})##
    What does ##\frac{1}{\lambda }## tell me, if anything, because I don't see it in your calculation?

AHA! So ##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }tf(t)dt=\int_{0}^{\infty }te^{-\lambda t}dt=\frac{\lambda t+1}{\lambda ^{2}}=4## Which gives me a quadratic equation for ##\lambda## where the right soultion is with + so ##\lambda =\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{8}##

Thanks for helping and this hint!

5. Jul 14, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The density should read as ##f(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t}##; I have edited the post to correct this. So, subsequent expressions are OK: ##F(t) = 1 - e^{-\lambda t}##, etc. Think of it this way: if t has dimensions of time, λ must have dimensions 1/time = rate per unit time; that makes the product λt dimensionless, which it must be if we are going to exponentiate it. Similarly, probabilities are dimensionless numbers, so F(t) cannot have λ or 1/λ outside the exponential.

Your computation of ET is incorrect; getting λ is much, much easier than what you wrote. Look in a book, or look on line!

6. Jul 14, 2013 #5
    Ammm, this is written in my notebook, just as it is written on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Univariate_continuous_random_variable

So expected value ##E(t)=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }tf(t)dt## but ##t## can only be positive and ##f(t)=\lambda e^{-\lambda t}##.

I am a bit confused at this moment? How is this incorrect?

7. Jul 14, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This part is correct, but you are not finished. You need to do the integral (or consult a book or a web page, as I have said now for the third---and last---time). In a previous post you gave some weird expression for the mean that was incorrect (for one thing, it involved 't, but that has already been integrated out). You had a quadratic equation to solve, which is totally false.

8. Jul 14, 2013 #7
    According to wolfram alpha and my own calculations with the help of a book the integral is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=axe^(-ax)+integrate

##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }t\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{-\infty}(\lambda t+1))+\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{0}(\lambda t+1))=\frac{1}{\lambda }(\lambda t+1)=4##
    now ##4\lambda=\lambda t+1##

What is wrong here?

9. Jul 14, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There should be no 't' in the final answer. As I said before, 't' has been integrated out---it is gone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted