1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Distribution with Probability

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    $$f(y) = \begin{cases} \int_0^y\frac1\beta e^{\frac {-t}\beta}dt = -e^{\frac {-y}\beta}+1 & \text{for } 0 ≤ y < ∞,\\ 0& \text{for } elsewhere\end{cases}$$

P(Y>3) = 1 - P(Y ≤ 3) = 1 - (-e^{-3/beta}+1) = .1353

When I take log to both sides, I get 3.453.
    When I take ln to both sides, I get 1.4998. When I plug it back into the equation, 1.4998 looks right...However, I puzzle why there is a difference?

Before this, could anyone please make sure beta = 1.4998?

(1) P(Y<0) = 0, right?

(2) P(Y<1) = -e^{1/1.4998} + 1 = .4866 , right?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

ln(e^x)=x, but log10(e^x) is not x. I guess you did a calculation error somewhere.

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    you mean beta is not 1.4998?

Could you also check (1) and (2) for me?

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is against all the conventions. Almost 100% of the time we denote the density function by f and the (cumulative) distribution function by F, so
    [tex] f(t) = \begin{cases}r e^{-rt}, & t \geq 0\\ 0, & t < 0 \end{cases} \; \text{ and }\; F(t) = \int_{-\infty}^t f(s) \, ds = \begin{cases}1-e^{-rt} & t \geq 0\\ 0 & t < 0 \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    It is also much more convenient to write the exponential in terms of the rate parameter (r) instead of the mean (1/r); however, if you prefer to use 1/r that is OK too. It is also faster to remember the result that ##P\{Y > t\} = e^{-rt}##, but, of course, that is what you ended up doing.

Your results look OK to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted