1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential growth word problem, pie.

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    This whole chapter has been tripping me. My professor made-up another way of doing this, which I'm having a hard time understanding. He's a really intelligent guy(even other professors say it) so he can do this, but I'm having a hard time understanding his way. I went to tutoring today, they couldn't help me with his way. So I'll just try the standard way and see if he'll let it pass.

How would I normally do this? I know that the standard formula is f(t)=Aert?

Would it start like f(2)=150er2? That 70 degrees is my biggest problem. I know that it can't go under 70 degrees, I'm having a hard time knowing how that'll fit into this equation. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• df.PNG
      df.PNG
      File size:
      6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=56108&d=1361843020.png

The temperature of the pie [STRIKE]cools[/STRIKE] decreases exponentially from whatever temperature it had coming out of the oven to room temperature (70° F). You will need a somewhat different fuction than what you showed.

If f(t) represents the temperature of the pie and t is number of hours after leaving the oven, then:
    f(2) = 150°F

f(5) = 130°F​

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Feb 25, 2013 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

No, it wouldn't. 150°F is not the initial temperature of the pie. It's the temperature after 2 hours. What you would have is [itex]150 = Ae^{2r}[/itex].

Are you sure you're supposed to use the formula f(t)=Aert? The way I remember learning it, this is Newton's Law of Cooling, and here was the formula:
    [itex]T(t) = T_m + (T_0 - T_m)e^{-kt}[/itex],
    where
    Tm is the temperature of the surrounding medium, and
    T0 is the initial temperature of the object.

EDIT: Beaten to it. ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    A decaying one? Such as f(t)=Ae-rt? I got this from online. I got that original formula from online. I wasn't too sure of how it worked. Since it allowed me to take the natural log when solving for time on simpler problems, I used it.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    I'm not too sure. Since the chapter is on exponential growth I think that he gave one general formula of some sort to cover all types of exponential growth(interest, bacteria etc..)

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6
    This is not a problem in exponential growth, it is a problem in exponential decay. The thing that is decaying is the difference between the temperature of the pie, and the temperature of the air: (T - 70)
    So,

time T T-70
    2 150 80
    5 130 60

For exponential decay, the constant r in your equation is negative.

8. Feb 25, 2013 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would suggest modifying your temperature function. Try [itex]\displaystyle \ \ f(t) - 70 = Ae^{-rt}\,, \ [/itex] where f(t) is the temperature of the pie, and t is time in hours, after the pie has been removed from the oven .

You will need to use logarithms to solve this.

9. Feb 26, 2013 #8
    Using
    the only things you do not know are ##k## and ##T_0##. You can then insert the data you have about temperatures and times and you have a system with two equations and two variables (i.e. ##k## and ##T_0##). Solve the system and you will have your solution with all parameters.

Finally you just need to insert 7 (hours) and compute the result.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted