Express the general solution?

In summary, the general solution to the given problem involves finding the roots of the matrix and using them to build independent solutions with constants to be found from initial conditions. The solutions take the form of exponentials, or exponentials multiplied with sins and cos at first glance. To get the actual answer, you will need to follow the explicit roadmap provided and work through the problem.
Success
Express the general solution of x'=(1, 2, 3, 0, 1, 2, 0, -2, 1)x in terms of real-valued functions. (this is 3x3 matrix, 1, 2, 3 on the left, 0, 1, 2 in the middle, 0, -2 and 1 on the right. I found that the roots are 1, 1+2i, 1-2i. And a=2, b=-3, c=2 for the first root. a=0, b=1, c=i for the second root. a=0, b=-1, c=i for the third root. but how do I get the answer?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your general solution is just the sum of each independent solution by superposition with constants to be found from initial conditions. Build each independent solution from the eigenvector multiplied by the exponential of the eigenvalue multiplied with the dependent variable.

For example, assuming ##x = x(t)##, ##X = \sum_i A_i ψ_i e^{λ_i t} ## for constants ##A_i## and eigenvectors ##ψ_i## associated with eigenvalues ##λ_i##.

Then just rearrange your solutions into real valued functions like the questions asks. (It looks like the solutions take the form of exponentials, or exponentials multiplied with sins and cos at first glance).

But how do I get the answer? The answer is x=c1*(2, -3, 2)e^t+c2*e^t*(0, cos(2t), sin(2t))+c3*e^t(0, sin(2t), -cos(2t)).

Right, so I pretty much gave you an explicit roadmap to get that exact answer.

You are going to have to do some more work and at least try to work it out using what I've already told you. (You are 75% there already).

If you have more questions, post how far you get and I'll be happy to answer your questions about where you are getting stuck, but continuing to ask "how do I get the answer" isn't going to get you very far, I'm afraid.

The general solution for this system of equations is given by the following expression:

x(t) = c1e^(at)cos(bt) + c2e^(at)sin(bt) + c3e^(at)

where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex roots, respectively, and c1, c2, and c3 are arbitrary constants. This can be obtained by using the method of variation of parameters.

What is the meaning of "express the general solution"?

"Express the general solution" refers to finding a formula, equation, or set of equations that can be used to solve a problem or answer a mathematical question for any given input or variable. It is a way to find a solution that works for a wide range of scenarios instead of just one specific case.

Why is it important to express the general solution?

Expressing the general solution allows for a more efficient and comprehensive understanding of a problem. It also allows for the solution to be applied to various situations, making it applicable and useful in different contexts.

What are the steps to finding the general solution?

The steps to finding the general solution may vary depending on the problem at hand, but typically it involves identifying the variables, setting up equations or formulas, solving for the variables, and simplifying the solution to a generalized form.

Can the general solution be applied to any problem?

No, the general solution may not work for all problems. It depends on the complexity and specific requirements of the problem. In some cases, a more specific or specialized solution may be needed.

Are there any limitations to the general solution?

Yes, the general solution may have limitations depending on the problem. It may not work for every possible input or scenario and may not always provide the most accurate or precise solution. In some cases, a more tailored or specific approach may be necessary.