1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing a symmetric matrix in terms on eigenvalues/vectors

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Generate a random 10 x 10 symmetric matrix A (already done in MATLAB) . Express A in the form

2. Relevant equations

## A = ## [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{10}λ_j(A)v_jv^T_j\ [/itex]

for some real vectors ##v_j, j = 1, 2, . . . , 10.##

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure the solution has something to do with the eigenvectors of a symmetric matrix being orthogonal.

The whole sum is basically ##A = λ_1v_1v^T_1 + λ_2v_2v^T_2 . . . λ_{10}v_{10}v^T_{10}.##

If ##v_j## are an eigenvectors then we can express that as:

##A = Av_1v^T_1 + Av_2v^T_2 . . . Av_{10}v^T_{10} ##
    ##→ A = A( v_1v^T_1 + v_2v^T_2 . . . v_{10}v^T_{10} ) ##

But that means we need ## v_1v^T_1 + v_2v^T_2 . . . v_{10}v^T_{10} = I ##. But I don't know if these vectors are meant to have those properties. =S

Basically I need to know what the ##v_j ##'s are

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2
    Ok, so after testing some symmetric 3x3 matrices and computing it by hand I can confirm that the ##v_j##'s are indeed the eigenvectors of ##A##.

Now I just need to know why, lol.

4. May 10, 2013 #3
    Does anyone know why?

If A is a symmetric matrix then A can be expressed as:

## A = ## [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{n}λ_j(A)v_jv^T_j\ [/itex]

where ##v_j, j = 1, 2, . . . , n.## are the eigenvectors of ##A##

But why???

5. May 10, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ##v_j## are an orthonormal set of eigenvectors, right? Multiply ##sum_{j=1}^{n}λ_j(A)v_jv^T_j## by any eigenvector ##v_k##. You get the same thing as multiplying that vector by A, right? If you want a fancy name for it, it's a simple version of the spectral theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted