Expressing the Solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 as a + log2b: Complex Numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter musicmar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Base Log
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
musicmar
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 can be expressed in the form of: a + log2b where a, b belong to the set of complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution



(2^3)(2^x)^2 = 2^(x+1) + 3

[8((2^x)^2)] - [2(2^x)] - 3 = 0

Solving the above quadratic for 2^x, I found that 2^x = 3/4 and -1/2. I can solve for x, but for simplicity's sake, I haven't yet.

From here, I need to put x into the above log form.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
musicmar said:

Homework Statement



The solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 can be expressed in the form of: a + log2b where a, b belong to the set of complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution



(2^3)(2^x)^2 = 2^(x+1) + 3

[8((2^x)^2)] - [2(2^x)] - 3 = 0

Solving the above quadratic for 2^x, I found that 2^x = 3/4 and -1/2. I can solve for x, but for simplicity's sake, I haven't yet.

From here, I need to put x into the above log form.

Looks good so far, but unless x is allowed to be a complex number, you can throw one of these solutions away...which one?:wink:

In order to get 'x' into the log form, just take log base 2 of both sides of your equation for 2^x... [itex]\log_2(2^x)=x[/itex]