1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing waves in complex form

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    Question:
    Two waves have the same amplitude, speed, frequency moving in the same region of space. The resultant wave can be expressed like the sum of two waves: psy(y,t) = Asin(ky+wt) + Asin(ky-wt+pi).

Express each wave individually using the complex representation. Demonstrate, using this representation, that the resultant wave can be expressed such as: psy(y,t)=2Acos(ky)sin(wt).

What is the amplitude at y=0, y=pi/k?

Attempt to answer:

I've tried breaking this problem into pieces. I'm having quite a bit of difficulty converting the wave equations into complex form.

I started by splitting the equation in two.

psi1(y,t) = (ky + wt)
    psi2(y,t) = (ky - wt + pi)

From there, I'm not sure what to do. I know that I have to convert it into a form of Ae^i(wt-kx+epsilon).

Would simply be: psy1(y,t) = Ae^i(wt+ky) and psy2(y,t) = Ae^i(-wt+ky) ?

I'm pretty confused about this. I don't know where to go from here or even if what I did has sense to it. Hopefully someone can help me out!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    Anyone?

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you write [tex] \sin(\theta) [/tex] in terms of the exponential function?

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    I think (not sure) that its: 1/2i(e^i[tex] (\theta) [/tex] - e^(-i[tex] (\theta) [/tex]))

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5
    Would anyone know any websites that could explain the idea behind this because my book is limited when describing this concept?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?