How was theta1 obtained from the system of expressions?

• Thread starter mikeley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary: Thank you for providing the simpler form for tanθ. In summary, the value of theta1 was obtained from the system by manipulating the equations and solving for tanθ, which resulted in the simpler expression tanθ = (PxPy ± d2√(Px2+Py2-d22)) / (Px2-d22). This can be used instead of the original form to find the value of theta1. The constants a2, d4, Px, Py represent certain values in the system, and the symbols S1, C1, S23, and C2 represent sine and cosine functions of angles theta1, theta2, and theta3.
mikeley
Can you please tell me how theta1 was obtained from this system:

Px=C1(a2*C2+d4*S23)-d2*S1
Py=S1(a2*C2+d4*S23)+d2*C1

theta1=atan((Py*sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)-d2*Px)/(Px*sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)+d2*Py))

theta1=atan((-Py*sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)-d2*Px)/(-Px*sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)+d2*Py))

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Please use [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]. Also, it might help to explain what Px, C1, C2, a2, etc.. are. Also, [itex]\theta[/itex] doesn't occur in your first two equations, so I have no idea how it was found, unless you explain what your symbols represent.

since S1 and C1 don't appear in the two final expressions, then perhaps S1 is sin(theta) and C1 is cos(theta) ??

Latex would be nicer.

Last edited:
Sorry AKG and Fermat. Here is my post modified:

a2, d4, Px, Py are all constants

[tex]

Px=\cos(\theta1)*(a2*\cos(\theta2)+d4*\sin(\theta2+\theta3))-d2*\sin(\theta1) [/tex]

[tex]
Py=\sin(\theta1)*(a2*\cos(\theta2)+d4*\sin(\theta2+\theta3))+d2*\cos(\theta1) [/tex]

[tex]
\theta1=\arctan((Py*\sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)-d2*Px)/(Px*\sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)+d2*Py)) [/tex]

[tex]
\theta1=\arctan((-Py*\sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)-d2*Px)/(-Px*\sqrt(Px^2+Py^2-d2^2)+d2*Py)) [/tex]

Are you sure this is right. Before I do anything, it looks strange that [itex]d4,\, \theta _2,\mbox{ and }\theta _3[/itex] don't appear anywhere in your second pair of equations. Also, just for clarity, use subscripts, so you probably want to write [itex]d4[/itex] as [itex]d_4[/itex] unless you mean the fourth power of d, [itex]d^4[/itex]. Anyways, take the first equation for [itex]\theta _1[/itex] and plug in Px and Py, and see if the equations are even correct. If not, then we need not go any further. If they are, then perhaps in working backwards you can see a general method to go "forwards" if they started you off with a slightly different Px and Py.

Also, you're telling us that you wrote "S23" and expected that anyone would understand that you meant [itex]\sin (\theta _2 + \theta _3)[/itex]? What were you thinking?

AKG said:
Also, you're telling us that you wrote "S23" and expected that anyone would understand that you meant [itex]\sin (\theta _2 + \theta _3)[/itex]? What were you thinking?

Would you like some salt and pepper to go with that :wink:

in my equations I have only d4 not dA, and d2 is not d^2 and d4 is not d^4. d2 and d4 are two constants raised to the first degree. And yes, I checked my equations before posting, and they are ok. So some how in the result, t1=..., the expression containing d4 was canceled.

Here are some pointers for a solution.

Multiply Px by sinθ and Py by cosθ. subtract Pxsinθ from Pycosθ to get rid of the bracketed term.
You should end up with Pycosθ - Pxsinθ = d2.
Divide both sides by cosθ.
Square both sides and get a quadratic in tanθ.
Solve ...

I ended up with a simpler form for tanθ.

[tex]tan\theta = \left(P_xP_y \pm d_2\sqrt{P_x^2 + P_y^2 - d_2^2}\right) / (P_x^2 - d_2^2)[/tex]

I manipulated your expression(s) for tanθ and ended up with my expression, so I suppose it could be done backwards - get your expression from mine - but it was a wee bit tedious.
Do you need to use the original form(s)?

Thank you very much Fermat. No, I don't have to use the original form.

1. What is expression simplification?

Expression simplification is the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form by combining like terms, using the order of operations, and applying algebraic rules and properties.

2. Why is expression simplification important?

Expression simplification is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems more efficiently and accurately. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different variables in an expression.

3. What are some common techniques used for expression simplification?

Some common techniques used for expression simplification include combining like terms, using the distributive property, factoring, and using the order of operations.

4. Can expression simplification be applied to any type of mathematical expression?

Yes, expression simplification can be applied to any type of mathematical expression, including algebraic equations, polynomials, and trigonometric expressions.

5. How can I check if my simplified expression is correct?

You can check if your simplified expression is correct by substituting values for the variables and evaluating both the original and simplified expressions. If both expressions give the same result, then your simplified expression is correct.