1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extended Canonical Transformation

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The transformation equations are:

[tex]
    Q=q^\alpha cos(\beta p)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    P=q^\alpha sin(\beta p)
    [/tex]

For what values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] do these equations represent an extended canonical transformation?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, just for a start, what is the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2
    I got a solution but it doesn't seems very satisfactory

I believe that the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation is that

[tex]
    PQ^\prime = \lambda p q^\prime
    [/tex]

But I am not 100% sure.

Then I do

[tex]
    PQ^\prime = q^\alpha sen(\beta p)(\alpha q^{\alpha-1}q^\prime cos(\beta p)-q^\alpha \beta sen(\beta p) p^\prime)
    [/tex]

Now I do the small angle approximation saying that [itex]\beta[/itex] is small. Is this point that I am not sure because the problem statement don't gives any information about this approximation.
    However, doing this I get:

[tex]
    PQ^\prime \simeq \alpha q^{2\alpha -1} \beta p q^\prime - \beta^3 q^{2\alpha} p^2 p^\prime
    [/tex]

Using

[tex]
    \beta^3 \simeq 0
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    \alpha=\frac{1}{2}
    [/tex]

I get

[tex]
    PQ^\prime \simeq \frac{\beta}{2} p q^\prime
    [/tex]

At least I get the condition of an extended canonical transformation

Am I thinking right?
    Thanks for any suggestion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?