Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extending automorphism groups to inner automorphism groups.

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    I wanted to make clear just a quick technical thing. If G is a group, N is a normal subgroup, and [itex] \phi_g \in \text{Inn}(G), \phi_g(h) = g h g^{-1} [/itex] then [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an automorphism of N, right? However, is it the case that we cannot say that [itex] \phi_g [/itex] is an inner automorphism, since we are not guaranteed that [itex] g \in N [/itex]? I think this is the case, but I just want to be clear.

Furthermore, is it then possible to extend any group to a larger group such that all automorphisms are given by inner automorphisms from the larger group? More precisely, if G is a group, is there always an injective homomorphism [itex] G \to H [/itex] such that [itex] \text{Aut}(G) \cong \text{Inn}(H) [/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

That is correct.

Indeed, let G be our group we wish to extend. Let T be a group such that there exists an epimorphism

[tex]\phi:T\rightarrow Aut(G)[/tex]

(for example, take [itex]T=Aut(G)[/itex]), then the semidirect product [itex]G\rtimes_{\varphi} T[/itex] is an extension you're looking for. Indeed, automorphism of G has the form [itex]\phi(h):=\phi_h[/itex]. And by construction of the semidirect product, we have that for each g in G

[tex]\phi_h(g)=hgh^{-1}[/tex]

So the automorphisms of G are inner automorphisms of the semidirect product...

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    I shall have to go back and look at my notes on semi-direct products a bit more to understand this fully, but thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?