Extending f(x) as an Even Function: Obtain Cosine Fourier Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tomeatworld
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


f(x) = sin(x) for 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<[tex]\pi[/tex]. Extend f(x) as an even function . Obtain a cosine Fourier series for f.


Homework Equations


[tex]a_{0}[/tex]/2 + [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]a_{n}[/tex]cos(nx)


The Attempt at a Solution


So as far as I know, to extend sin(x) as an even function you have to make f(x)=-sin(x) for [tex]-\pi\leq[/tex]x<0 and then just use that to integrate for an but this gives a series without an a0 term which the question points to it having. What have I done wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you integrated correctly?

Did you remember that the integral over [-pi,pi] breaks to [-pi,0] where it's -sin(x) and [0,pi] where it's sin(x) (or alternatively, the integral over [-pi,pi] is double the integral over [0,pi])

Can you please show us your calculation?
 
sure.
As you've said, I've just used:
[tex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/tex][tex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/tex]sin(x) dx
so integration gets
[-cos(x)[tex]]^{\pi}_{0}[/tex].
expanding gives [1 - 1] so I lose the [tex]a_{0}[/tex] term. Is that correct?

Oops, i see what I did. Forgot the - - so it should actually be 4/pi. Is that correct?