1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extensive quantity

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] extensive quantity

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My teacher said that E=E(S,V,N) implies that c E = E(cS,cV,cN) where c is some constant. The justification was that E is an extensive parameter. I know what an extensive parameter is (proportional to N), but I do not see how that relation follows.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. E, S, V, and N are extensive quantities.
    2. You have a system with a certain S, V, and N, and you calculate the energy E.
    3. I replace the system with one twice as big.
    4. You can either double S, V, and N and recalculate or just double E, right? This statement is identical to your equation.

4. Dec 22, 2011 #3
    Re: [SOLVED] extensive quantity

the proper definition of an extensive quantity is: if there is a system with extensive quanty X' and another system with X" then the two systems together has property X, with X=X'+X". (the property is additive). This is independent of the existence of a function X(a,b,c) where a b and c are also extensive quantities. For example take the internal energy of systems consisting of mono-atomic ideal gases with for helium U'=n'(3/2)RT' and for neon U"=n"(3/2)RT". (Hence U=U(n,T)). Now if we take the systems together U=U'+U" and n=n'+n", independent of the actual values of T'and T". (and we do not need the constant c)
    U (=E) is and extensive quantity independent from the suggested function, that is actually non-existent for most systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?