Extra Credit Question about Waves

• Thread starter PhillipRussel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, this conversation is about how one teaches students how to solve problems. The expert says that the way they teach is not the most effective way and that students should show their attempts at the questions they have trouble with and then the teacher can help. The expert also says that there are several ways to approach solving the problem and that this way is to fill in gaps in the student's understanding.
Physics news on Phys.org
Well that is not how we teach - it is called "giving you the answers" and that would defeat the purpose of the extra credit work.
I know we all like walk-throughs - however, there are more effective learning styles.

Instead, please show us your attempts at the questions you have trouble with and we can help you work it out for yourself ;)

On 2/3 - the slopes being equal at all times involves differentiation.
4. just asks to compute the transmission coefficient - do you know how to get the power from the wave-functions? Do you know what the wavefunctions represent?

I know Ai+Ar=At. I figure I might be able to find all those variables in an equation with different coefficients and find the answer in the system of equations. I haven't succeeded in finding that equation though. I took the derivative of each equation with respect to t and had x at zero already. After posting this I will look up how to figure the slope of a multivariable function.

How do y'all teach here?

After posting this I will look up how to figure the slope of a multivariable function.
Why would you need that?
How do y'all teach here?
You are looking at it: we get the student to do the work ;) But you have to fill me in on your reasoning for it to have any effect.

The question mentioned how the slope was also even at the junction so I was hoping it would lead me to the answer.

It only asks you for the slope of the net disturbances across the junction ... do you get why the amplitudes and the slopes need to be the same? Have you seen a pulse on a spring travel to a heavier spring?

Watch this:

... in particular, look at the disturbance and slopes of the disturbance at the boundaries - particularly where a light and heavy string is joined.

The slope dy/dx was the same on each side of the join.

What would the slope dy/dt show us?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think i get it yet We're looking at the one point the junction where it is simultaneously the pulse on both strings so of course they have to be the same because they are the same thing. Therefore the derivatives would be the same thing. ?

If I hadn't seen a similar animation before I certainly have now. I've probably seen it in real life before too but don't recall at the moment.

dy/dt shows us the slope of the net disturbance in the direction of time?

dy/dt is the speed the disturbance changes at each point. It's the transverse velocity.
You actually seem to be getting there though ... the derivatives at the junction will get you a system of simultaneous equations.

See how this style of teaching works?
There are actually several ways to approach solving the problem, I could just pick my favorite method and spell it out. This way I get to help you with the way you think about it - filling in gaps in your prior understanding as we go - hopefully you'll end up with a deeper understanding that can be used in other areas as well.

I saw my professor today. He showed me that way using dy/dt the transverse velocity which can also be called the particle velocity right. I tried that at first but made a simple error so I kept on trying to figure a different way.

I made another post. I have the first test tomorrow and am figuring I should actually focus on his past tests right now but may like to come back to this thread later.

I am all for having a deeper understanding of reality. Thanks for the help. Please check out my other thread. Lol

1. What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as water, air, or even space. They transfer energy and momentum from one point to another without actually transporting matter.

2. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

3. How are waves measured?

Waves are typically measured by their wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave with the same position and direction. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a given time, usually measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation: velocity = frequency x wavelength.

5. How do waves behave when they encounter different mediums?

When a wave encounters a different medium, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The behavior of a wave also depends on the properties of the medium, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. For example, light waves can be refracted when passing through different substances, such as air and water.