How can an extra dimension create gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and its relation to extra dimensions. Some believe that gravity is stronger than previously thought and has the ability to affect higher dimensional space through the theoretical 'graviton'. This is in contrast to the other three forces which are confined to our 4D universe. There is also mention of the possibility of other parallel universes with different dimensions where gravity may behave differently.
The Grimmus
I don't know much about physics as you will come to know after reading this. Could some one exsplain to me how an extra dimension can creat gravity?
Is it that matter moves into another dimension when it's avablabe (near mass particles or "gravitons")and distorts time-space and pulls most anything extisting on time-space towards it, kinda like a black hole containg a great deal of matter but condenced in a small area.
Or dose it have something to do with the particle interaction of gravitons moving between dimension.
Or am i inferring everythign incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Hey! Not so sure about this subject myself but what i think goes on is that physicists think that Gravity is a stronger force then we thought. As you know, we live in a 4D universe, and basically, some scientists think there could be other parallel universes in which there are more dimensions. What they believe is that gravity has the ability to affect and enter higher dimensional space via the theoretical 'graviton'. I am not sure if i have explained much but...Lets say that gravity could be classed as a relatively strong force because it can enter higher dimensional space whereas the other 3 forces are confined to our 4 dimensional world. There are probably the other 3 forces in higher dimensions but they cannot enter or alter our dimension.

If I've helped then but if not, !

i think i rember reading somewhere that in extra dimensions that could exist in this universe gravity is a very strong force like you siad.

I think!

Related to How can an extra dimension create gravity?

1. What are extra dimensions?

Extra dimensions refer to hypothetical spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our everyday lives. In theories such as string theory, there may be up to 11 dimensions, with the additional dimensions being curled up and imperceptible to us.

2. How do extra dimensions affect gravity?

In theories with extra dimensions, gravity is thought to be a weaker force than in our three-dimensional world. This is because the gravitational force is spread out over more dimensions, making it appear weaker in our observable universe.

3. Can we detect or observe extra dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of extra dimensions. However, scientists are actively searching for signatures of extra dimensions in experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider.

4. How do extra dimensions relate to the theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time. In theories with extra dimensions, gravity is still described by the theory of relativity, but the additional dimensions allow for more complex and varied shapes of the space-time fabric.

5. How might an understanding of extra dimensions impact our understanding of the universe?

If extra dimensions are proven to exist, it would drastically change our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of the universe. It could potentially lead to a unified theory of all forces and particles, providing a deeper understanding of the universe on a fundamental level.