Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra Dimensions and Gravity

1. Dec 10, 2003 #1
    I dont know much about physics as you will come to know after reading this. Could some one exsplain to me how an extra dimension can creat gravity?
    Is it that matter moves into another dimension when it's avablabe (near mass particals or "gravitons")and distorts time-space and pulls most anything extisting on time-space towards it, kinda like a blackhole containg a great deal of matter but condenced in a small area.
    Or dose it have something to do with the partical interaction of gravitons moving between dimension.
    Or am i inferring everythign incorrectly?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

Hey Hey! Not so sure about this subject myself but what i think goes on is that physicists think that Gravity is a stronger force then we thought. As you know, we live in a 4D universe, and basically, some scientists think there could be other parallel universes in which there are more dimensions. What they believe is that gravity has the ability to affect and enter higher dimensional space via the theoretical 'graviton'. Im not sure if i have explained much but...Lets say that gravity could be classed as a relatively strong force because it can enter higher dimensional space whereas the other 3 forces are confined to our 4 dimensional world. There are probably the other 3 forces in higher dimensions but they cannot enter or alter our dimension.

If i've helped then but if not, !!

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    i think i rember reading somewhere that in extra dimensions that could exist in this univers gravity is a very strong force like you siad.

5. Dec 12, 2003 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

I think!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?