Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Extra' terms in Abelian Higgs model

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    I'm taking 5 mins (hours) during some down-time to remind myself of some theory. Taking a simple Abelian Higgs model, where the Lagrangian is given by:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = |D_\mu\Phi|^2 - \frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} - V(\Phi)[/tex]

With the covariant derivative, field strength tensor and potential given by:

[tex]D_\mu = \delta_\mu - ig_\mu[/tex],
    [tex]F_{\mu\nu} = \delta_\nu A_\mu - \delta_\mu A_\nu[/tex],
    [tex]V(\Phi) = \lambda|\bar{\Phi}\Phi|^2 - \mu^2\bar{\Phi}\Phi[/tex].

I'm working in the unitary gauge, such that [tex]\Phi[/tex] is given by:

[tex]\Phi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(v + H\right)[/tex].

Taking the expanded potential after symmetry breaking, and plugging into [tex]|D_\mu\Phi|^2[/tex] like:

[tex]|D_\mu\Phi|^2 = D_\mu\Phi^*D^\mu\Phi = \frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\delta_\mu +igA_\mu\right)\left(v+H\right)\left(\delta^\mu - igA^\mu\right)\left(v+H\right)\right][/tex]

yields the expected interaction and mass terms. Some of the 'extra' terms trivially cancel as they contain derivatives of constants such as [tex]\delta_\mu v[/tex]. However, there are some extra terms which I don't see mentioned in the standard texts:

[tex]-ig\left[\delta_\mu H\right] HA^\mu[/tex]
    [tex]-igv\delta_\mu HA^\mu[/tex]
    [tex]igHA_\mu\delta^\mu H[/tex]
    [tex]igvA_\mu\delta^\mu H[/tex].

Can anyone suggest a) if I've done something wrong b) if these terms also disappear c) Something else...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    You did it right, and those 4 terms cancel one another.

[tex]|D_{\mu}\phi|^2 = \frac{1}{2} [(\partial_{\mu} - ieA_{\mu})(v+H)] [(\partial^{\mu} + ieA^{\mu})(v+H)] = \frac{1}{2}[\partial_{\mu}H\partial^{\mu}H + e^2A_{\mu}A^{\mu}(v+H)^2 + ieA^{\mu}(v+H)\partial_{\mu}H - ieA_{\mu}(v+H)\partial^{\mu}H][/tex]

Because of the summation over [tex]\mu[/tex], we have for the third term [tex]ieA^{\mu}(v+H)\partial_{\mu}H = ieA_{\mu}(v+H)\partial^{\mu}H[/tex], cancelling the last term.

Cheers,
    Sebas

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    Ah yes of course, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook