Extract the laser from a mouse and use it for construction of a probe

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mikey1986
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Background
I am currently doing a project that requires me to construct a probe which dentists use to transmit laser light to a patient's teeth to determine if the teeth is vital or not.

Wanna know if it is feasible for me to extract the laser from an optical mouse and use it to construct the probe. If it is can any sexperts guide me in the right direction or any website which contains such information. Much appreciated!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You do realize the the light source in a computer mouse is a Light Emitting Diode not a laser?

Optical computer mice are also another example of LEDs in machine vision, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Now I'm not a dentist so I don't know what frequency and power is need to determine if the teeth are "vital or not". But here's a list of Solid-state lasers and they require the proper Laser safety.