Extract the laser from a mouse and use it for construction of a probe

In summary, a dentist is working on a project to construct a probe for determining the vitality of teeth using laser light. They are wondering if it is possible to use a laser from an optical mouse for this purpose and if any experts or websites can provide guidance. However, it is pointed out that computer mice use LEDs, not lasers. Solid-state lasers are recommended for this type of project, but proper laser safety measures must be taken.
mikey1986
Background
I am currently doing a project that requires me to construct a probe which dentists use to transmit laser light to a patient's teeth to determine if the teeth is vital or not.

Wanna know if it is feasible for me to extract the laser from an optical mouse and use it to construct the probe. If it is can any sexperts guide me in the right direction or any website which contains such information. Much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You do realize the the light source in a computer mouse is a Light Emitting Diode not a laser?

Optical computer mice are also another example of LEDs in machine vision, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Now I'm not a dentist so I don't know what frequency and power is need to determine if the teeth are "vital or not". But here's a list of Solid-state lasers and they require the proper Laser safety.

1. How do you extract a laser from a mouse?

Extracting a laser from a mouse involves disassembling the mouse and locating the laser diode, which is typically found in the mouse's optical sensor. This process requires careful handling and knowledge of electronic components. It is recommended to seek assistance from a professional if you are not familiar with electronics.

2. Can any type of laser be extracted from a mouse?

No, only certain types of computer mice, such as optical or laser mice, have a laser diode that can be extracted. Traditional mechanical mice do not have a laser diode and therefore cannot be used for this purpose.

3. How can the extracted laser be used for construction of a probe?

The extracted laser can be used as a light source for a probe by connecting it to a power source and attaching it to the probe. It can also be used as a sensor for measuring distances or detecting objects, depending on the type of laser extracted.

4. What are some potential applications of using a mouse laser for construction of a probe?

The use of a mouse laser for construction of a probe can have various applications, such as in the fields of robotics, medical imaging, and industrial manufacturing. It can also be used for research purposes, such as in experiments involving light detection and measurement.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when handling a mouse laser?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution when handling a mouse laser, as it can emit powerful and potentially harmful light. It is recommended to wear protective eyewear and handle the laser with care to avoid any accidents. It is also important to follow any safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the laser.