Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extract the laser from a mouse and use it for construction of a probe

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1
    Background
    I am currently doing a project that requires me to construct a probe which dentists use to transmit laser light to a patient's teeth to determine if the teeth is vital or not.

Wanna know if it is feasible for me to extract the laser from an optical mouse and use it to construct the probe. If it is can any sexperts guide me in the right direction or any website which contains such information. Much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2012 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do realize the the light source in a computer mouse is a Light Emitting Diode not a laser?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Now I'm not a dentist so I don't know what frequency and power is need to determine if the teeth are "vital or not". But here's a list of Solid-state lasers and they require the proper Laser safety.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook