1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E.

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    after a very unpleasant valentine's Day, a dead body was found in a downtown warehouse that had no heating or air conditioning. it was February in Florida and we know that the daily temperature in the warehouse fluctuates according to the function T(t)= 63-12sin(∏t/12), where t=0 corresponds to midnight on any given day. The body was discovered at 1:30 am on Feb. 15 and its temperature was 73 degrees F. Two hours later the temperature was 68 degrees F. What was the time of death of this body?

2. Relevant equations

dT/dt = k (T - T(m))

[exp(at)(-BcosBt + asinBt)]/a^2+b^2

where k is the proportionality constant T is temperature and T(m) is the medium of the environment surrounding the object.

3. The attempt at a solution

i set up my differential as dT/dt - kT - 63k = 12ksin(∏t/12)

after doing the integrating factor method and using the equation to solve the integration i got some huge formula for T

then i rescaled the time so i could solve for C and k ... for C i got

C= 73+ (144∏k)/(144k^2+∏^2)

after that i tried to solve for k but it honestly looks impossible and i'm not sure how to do it
    if someone could help me out or at least check my work so far i would greatly appreciate it....this problem seems close to impossible

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    Not a 100% sure as I've never solved one with a separate function for ambient air temperature but maybe you need to sub T(t)=63-12sin(∏t/12) into newtons formula rather than equal to it.

I think the formula should be dT/dt = k [T - {63-12sin(∏t/12)}] where T is the initial temperature given by T(0) = 63.

So dT/dt = k(12sin(∏t/12))

and solve that ?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should not separate the "63k" and "[itex]12ksin(\pi t/12)[/itex]":
    [tex]dT/dt- kT= 63k+ 12ksin(\pi t/12)[/tex]

The associated homogeneous equation, dT/dt-kT= 0, has solution [itex]T= Ae^{kt}[/itex]. Now, look for a solution of the form [itex]B+ Csin(\pi t/12)+ Dcos(\pi t/12)[/itex]. Put that into the equation and solve for B, C, and D. Then put the entire solution into y(1.5)= 73 and y(3.5)= 68 to solve for A and k.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    ok i see, i'm going to redo it that way, no wonder i was getting nowhere with the way i did it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook