1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F= ma on a car .?

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    F= ma on a car.....?

suppose i am pushing a toy car or a real size car with a constant velocity...say 10m/s. now as there is no change in velocity so a=0 . then according to F=ma , F=0.
    but the situation seems otherwise ..that is i am applying force

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: F= ma on a car.....?

Friction with the ground is an existing force you must overcome with a counterforce in order to keep the vehicle moving at constant velocity. Once you do so, the net force on the vehicle is zero.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Newton's 2nd law says that the net force must equal 'ma': ΣF = ma. If the car moves with constant velocity, there must be another force counteracting your push to give a net force of zero.

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The "net" force (sum of all forces) on the car is 0, so the car does not accelerate.

There is some resistance to movement of the car, perhaps due to friction; call it [itex]-F_\text{friction}[/itex]. Left to its own, the car would slow down because of this resisting force.

You are pushing the car forward with a force as well, so call this force [itex]+F_\text{pushing}[/itex].

If [itex]F_\text{pushing}-F_\text{friction} = 0[/itex], then the net force is 0 and the car continues along its merry way without a change in velocity.

Edit: Look, 2 other correct answers in the time it took me to type this!

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5

so the net force should be 0 in my case
    that is the force which i am applying + resistance or friction = 0?

7. Sep 20, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yup.

8. Sep 20, 2011 #7

ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook