Is f'(x) defined at x=0 for the given piecewise function?

• Thread starter Robokapp
  • Start date
In summary, the question was whether f'(x) exists and what it is. To solve this, the function was split into two parts and the right-hand and left-hand derivatives were found. If they are equal, the function is differentiable at 0. This method was used to prove that f(x) is differentiable at 0.
Robokapp
It's a question I had on a quiz a few minutes ago.

f(x) = sin(x) for x < or = 0 and
f(x) = x for x > 0

Question was...does f'(x) exist? what is it?

-------------

First I proved the f(x) is continuous at 0 by stating limit as x->0 from left = limit as x->0 from right = f(0).

Then...taking the derivative turned out to be a problem.
the lim[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h was unclear because...if x=0 and you add some h to it, that'd mean you use as your f(x) the x...but point (0, 0) belongs to Sin(x) not to x.

What i did is state that in x-values close to zero, from left and from right, the f'(x) = 1. Basically I ruled out situations like |x| where dy/dx = -1 and 1 for values around x=0.

I assumed that if f'(-0.0001) and f'(0.0001) are equal, the function (who we know is continuous) must be differentiable at that point.

---------------

But my question is...is my logic something that will make my teacher grab his hairs before giving me a nice zero? or a 'wise' way to look the issue?

Also, is there a better, clearer way to solve this?

I always experience uncertainty on what to do and to which expression when a function gets split according to Domain.

Thank you.

~Robokapp

Physics news on Phys.org
Split your argument in two:
1. Find the right-hand derivative
2. Find the left-hand derivative

If they are equal, then your function is differentiable at 0.

f is trivially differentiable for x>0 and x<0. At x=0, one merely needs to verify if the left and right derivatives exist and agree. They trivially exist and as cos(x) tends to 1 as x tends to zero they agree.

1. Is F'(x) always defined for any function F(x)?

No, F'(x) may not be defined for all functions. For example, if F(x) has a sharp corner or a discontinuity at a certain point, F'(x) may not exist at that point.

2. How can I determine if F'(x) exists for a specific function?

You can determine if F'(x) exists by using the limit definition of a derivative. If the limit exists and is finite, then F'(x) exists at that point.

3. Can F'(x) exist at one point but not at another point?

Yes, it is possible for F'(x) to exist at some points but not at others. This can occur if the function has a sharp corner or a discontinuity at one point, but is smooth at another point.

4. What does it mean if F'(x) does not exist?

If F'(x) does not exist, it means that the function is not differentiable at that point. This could be due to a sharp corner, a discontinuity, or a cusp in the function.

5. Can F'(x) exist for a function that is not continuous?

No, F'(x) cannot exist for a function that is not continuous. The function must be continuous in order for the derivative to exist. If a function is discontinuous, the derivative will not exist at that point.