1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x) integral converge, f(x) uniformly continuous ,prove that f(x) limit = 0

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int_{a}^\infty\ f(x) dx [/tex] <--- converge
    f(x) uniformly continuous in [a,[tex]\infty[/tex]]
    prove that [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} f(x) = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that if f(X) has a limit in [tex]\infty[/tex] it has to be 0
    I think that the solution has to be conected to the fact that if f(x) uniformly continuous ,there is a M that |f'(x)|<M,
    I think I can prove that if f(x) does not have limit it's Derivative has to change infinite times form + to - , so f(x) has to go up and down infinite times..
    and when it go up there is a limit to how low her max can be,
    I think I have to put it all together with Cauchy test
    But I cant seem to do it.
    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a proof by contradiction. If f(x) does NOT converge to zero, then there is an epsilon>0 such that for all N>0 there is an x>N such that |f(x)|>epsilon. Do you agree with that statement? If you draw a picture, then that means that the graph of f(x) must have an infinite number of points where |f(x)|>epsilon stretching off to infinity. If f(x) is also uniformly continuous, then there is a corresponding delta such that |f(x)-f(y)|<epsilon/2 for |x-y|<delta. That means all of those x's in your picture correspond to a bump in the graph of f(x) with area greater than delta*epsilon/2. Can you show this contradicts the convergence of the integral?
  4. Dec 15, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much
    That was very helpful
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook