Fabricating bipedal-ish walker legs,

• Thread starter jehan60188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    solidworks
In summary, the conversation discussed the challenge of creating a single-actuator walker with two unpowered wheels and two legs, as part of a mechanism design class. The individual shared their motor and initial design, but encountered issues with stability and interference. They then presented two options for their report – either a short report or adding a section on their redesign process. Ultimately, it was suggested to include the unsuccessful model in the report and explain how it led to the successful redesign.
jehan60188
so, I have to make a single-actuator walker for a class. it has to have two (unpowered) wheels, and two legs (it's a mechanism design class)

here's the motor i have to use: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/71

i've drafted out a klann mechanism, and even made an assembly in solidworks

http://imgur.com/8WbZb

but it's too rickety when I build it!
http://imgur.com/lDcE4

so rickety, that I can't test it.
but i know (from manually manipulating it) that the nuts, bolts, and legs will interfere with each other

so, two questions:

how can I stabilize, and how can I prevent interference?

thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I totally redesigned the mechanism.
It is inelegant, and boring, but it works.
The only problem is that this project includes a report, which I've done in great depth for the other mechanism. This current mechanism does not lend itself to a good report (one that can demonstrate my knowledge of the course material).
what should i do?
1) have a short report, or
2) add a section to my report discussing the failure of creating my previous mechanism, and a short section featuring the new mechanism?

Last edited by a moderator:
jehan60188,
I believe you should write your report to include the un-successful model and explain how you redesigned the new model to fix what was wrong with the old one. Learning from your mistakes is much more valuable than getting it perfect first time.

1. How does fabricating bipedal-ish walker legs differ from creating traditional prosthetics?

Fabricating bipedal-ish walker legs is a more complex process as it involves creating legs that are capable of mimicking human walking patterns and movements. This requires advanced engineering techniques and specialized materials to achieve the desired functionality.

2. What materials are typically used in fabricating bipedal-ish walker legs?

The most commonly used materials in fabricating bipedal-ish walker legs are lightweight metals such as aluminum and titanium, as well as carbon fiber and other advanced composites. These materials provide both strength and flexibility, allowing for efficient movement and support.

3. How is the walking pattern of bipedal-ish walker legs determined?

The walking pattern of bipedal-ish walker legs is determined through a combination of biomechanical analysis and computer modeling. This involves studying the natural movement of human legs and translating it into a mechanical design that can replicate those movements.

4. Can bipedal-ish walker legs be customized for individual users?

Yes, bipedal-ish walker legs can be customized for individual users. Each person may have different needs and preferences, so the design and functionality of the legs can be tailored to meet those specific requirements.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using bipedal-ish walker legs?

While bipedal-ish walker legs can greatly improve mobility for individuals who have difficulty walking, there are some potential drawbacks and limitations. These may include a higher cost compared to traditional prosthetics, and the need for regular maintenance and adjustments to ensure proper functioning.