Facebook hacked on Dec 12th 2019

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: That's the reason I never had a social media account till last month. Couple of days back, owing to certain circumstances, creating a Twitter account became a necessity....Twitter, for example, doesn't work unless you put in your mobile number.?Since I don't own a mobile phone, I access Twitter via my laptop.
Evo said:
Good grief, have you looked up the name on the card to see if you find someone, by chance? They should know (if it's a legitimate bank error) that their debit card was sent to someone else! I'm sure the bank isn't going to tell them. The person might be listed in LinkedIn if they're employed. They might even be found on FB. I wouldn't contact them, but it would be interesting.
I just spent the last 1.5 hours going through Mr. Mightbeaperp's FB page.
His name is unique enough, 104 Google matches, that I'm confident this is the same person.
I've decided that it's possible that he and I are both targets, or that he may be the only target, and I'm just an unwitting accomplice, as, I replaced my mailbox on Christmas day, as the door on my old one had fallen off a couple of months ago, and any cranker riding by on a bicycle could snatch anything inside, with the greatest of ease.

Actually, I think I may have met the perp. Someone knocked on my door yesterday afternoon, and asked whose truck was parked across the street. I gave him a vague answer, and he left.

Boy, my email address had quite an active (and unsavory) life ...
:oldlaugh:
I'm not sure how I would handle that, if my email ended up having a more interesting life than I've had.

• Haha
Likes Evo
<h2>1. What happened during the Facebook hack on December 12th, 2019?</h2><p>On December 12th, 2019, Facebook experienced a major security breach where hackers gained access to over 50 million user accounts. This allowed them to view personal information, post on users' behalf, and potentially access other linked apps and websites.</p><h2>2. How did the hackers gain access to Facebook?</h2><p>The hackers exploited a vulnerability in Facebook's "View As" feature, which allows users to see how their profile looks to others. They were able to steal access tokens, which are digital keys that keep users logged in without having to re-enter their password each time.</p><h2>3. What kind of information was compromised during the hack?</h2><p>The hackers were able to access a variety of personal information, including names, birthdates, gender, relationship status, and recent searches. They also potentially had access to any linked apps or websites, depending on the permissions granted by the user.</p><h2>4. How did Facebook respond to the hack?</h2><p>Facebook immediately addressed the vulnerability and fixed it within a few days. They also reset the access tokens for the affected accounts and an additional 40 million accounts as a precaution. They also notified law enforcement and are working with them to investigate the incident.</p><h2>5. What steps should I take if my account was affected by the Facebook hack?</h2><p>If your account was one of the 50 million that were compromised, Facebook will automatically log you out and you will receive a notification explaining what happened. It is recommended that you change your password and review your account activity to make sure there are no unauthorized posts or actions. You should also be cautious of any suspicious emails or messages asking for personal information or login credentials.</p>

1. What happened during the Facebook hack on December 12th, 2019?

On December 12th, 2019, Facebook experienced a major security breach where hackers gained access to over 50 million user accounts. This allowed them to view personal information, post on users' behalf, and potentially access other linked apps and websites.

2. How did the hackers gain access to Facebook?

The hackers exploited a vulnerability in Facebook's "View As" feature, which allows users to see how their profile looks to others. They were able to steal access tokens, which are digital keys that keep users logged in without having to re-enter their password each time.

3. What kind of information was compromised during the hack?

The hackers were able to access a variety of personal information, including names, birthdates, gender, relationship status, and recent searches. They also potentially had access to any linked apps or websites, depending on the permissions granted by the user.

4. How did Facebook respond to the hack?

Facebook immediately addressed the vulnerability and fixed it within a few days. They also reset the access tokens for the affected accounts and an additional 40 million accounts as a precaution. They also notified law enforcement and are working with them to investigate the incident.

5. What steps should I take if my account was affected by the Facebook hack?

If your account was one of the 50 million that were compromised, Facebook will automatically log you out and you will receive a notification explaining what happened. It is recommended that you change your password and review your account activity to make sure there are no unauthorized posts or actions. You should also be cautious of any suspicious emails or messages asking for personal information or login credentials.

Back