Factoring Help, Finding two variables

Multiplying the first equation by 9 and adding it to the second equation eliminates g, and gives you a number for m.
Emperor

Homework Statement

If f(x) = mx^3 + gx^2 - x + 3 is divided by x - 1, the remainder is 3. If f(x) is divided by x + 3, the remainder is -1. What are the values of m and g?

Homework Equations

Remainder Theorum/Factor Theorum

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did:

f(x)=mx^3+gx^2-x+3

x -1 remainder = 3

3=m(1)^3+g(1)^2-(1)+3
3=m+g-1+3
1=m+g

x + 3, remainder = -1

-7=m(-3)^3+g(-3)^2-(-3)+3
-7=-27m+9g+3+3
-----------------------

Past that point is where I start getting fractions to my answers which don't lead me anywhere close to my answer. Where did I make a mistake and how can I solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emperor said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) = mx^3 + gx^2 - x + 3 is divided by x - 1, the remainder is 3. If f(x) is divided by x + 3, the remainder is -1. What are the values of m and g?

Homework Equations

Remainder Theorum/Factor Theorum

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did:

f(x)=mx^3+gx^2-x+3

x -1 remainder = 3

3=m(1)^3+g(1)^2-(1)+3
3=m+g-1+3
1=m+g

x + 3, remainder = -1

-7=m(-3)^3+g(-3)^2-(-3)+3
-7=-27m+9g+3+3
-----------------------

Past that point is where I start getting fractions to my answers which don't lead me anywhere close to my answer. Where did I make a mistake and how can I solve it?

Shouldn't those -7's be -1's? And I think the (small) fractions you get will work.

LCKurtz said:
Shouldn't those -7's be -1's? And I think the (small) fractions you get will work.

Yeah, I messed up the equation:

-1=m(-3)^3+g(-3)^2-(-3)+3
-1=-27m+9g+3+3

collect like terms:

-7=-27m+9g

-1=(-27/7)n - (-9/7)g

As you can see I end up with some strange numbers. I never got the correct answer with them so I assume they're wrong. And yet, there's no possible way I can get a -9 or even a -3 to factor those numbers.

Last edited:
Emperor said:
Yeah, I messed up the equation:

-1=m(-3)^3+g(-3)^2-(-3)+3
-1=-27m+9g+3+3

collect like terms:

-7=-27m+9g

-1=(-27/7)n - (-9/7)g

As you can see I end up with some strange numbers. I never got the correct answer with them so I assume they're wrong. And yet, there's no possible way I can get a -9 or even a -3 to factor those numbers.

You have ##m+g=1## and ##-27m+9g = -7##. Two equations and two unknowns. Just solve them.

1. How do I factor a polynomial with two variables?

Factoring a polynomial with two variables is similar to factoring a regular polynomial. First, look for common factors between the terms. Then, use the distributive property to expand the terms and look for common factors again. Finally, use the difference of squares or grouping method to factor the remaining terms.

2. Can I use the FOIL method to factor a polynomial with two variables?

No, the FOIL method is only applicable when multiplying two binomials. When factoring a polynomial with two variables, you need to look for common factors and use other methods such as the difference of squares or grouping.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when factoring with two variables?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for common factors between the terms. Another mistake is using the FOIL method instead of factoring by grouping. It is also important to check if the factored expression can be simplified further.

4. How do I know if I factored correctly?

You can check if you factored correctly by using the distributive property to expand the factored terms. The expanded form should be equal to the original polynomial. You can also check by solving for the variables using the factored form and comparing it to the original polynomial.

5. Can I factor a polynomial with two variables using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function for factoring polynomials with two variables. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in factoring manually before relying on a calculator. This will help you check if the calculator's answer is correct and also give you a better understanding of the concept.