Factoring polynomial over rings

In summary: However, Eisenhart's criterion is not always satisfied, so it's sometimes necessary to trial factorizations until you find one that satisfies the criterion.
llstelle

Homework Statement

Factor x^3+3x+6 over Z5, Z10, Z, Q and ℝ.

2. The attempt at a solution

For Z5, I have the roots of x^3+3x+1 in Z5, x=2=-3 and x=3=-4, so x+3 and x+4 are factors. By long division of x^3+3x+1, it is found that x+3 is a repeated factor, so x^3+3x+6=(x+4)(x+3)^2.

For Z and Q, Eisenhart's criterion is satisfied with 3, hence x^3+3x+6 is irreducible over Q, and hence Z.

For Z10 and ℝ... I don't really get how to do this problem. Is there a consistent way to work out the factors for Z10? It seems like a lot of effort. Also, I noticed that x^3+3x+6 has one real root over ℝ, and so I can factor it neatly to a linear factor (with real root) and a quadratic factor with two complex roots, but I only managed to get these roots with a computational method - and they have pretty long but explicit expressions, so again, my question: is there a proper way to work out the roots by hand here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, llstelle! :smile:First off, x=3 is not a root in Z5, but x=1 is.

For Z10 you only need 1 root. Is perhaps x=1 or x=2 also a root in Z10?For R, I think you're stuck with the complicated solutions.
But here's a general method that gives the answer fairly easily:Starting with [itex]x^3+3x+6=0[/itex].

Substitute x=y+z, meaning you have a free choice for either y or z.
So [itex](y+z)^3+3(y+z)+6=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (y^3+z^3+3y^2z+3yz^2) + 3(y+z)+6=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow y^3+z^3+3(yz+1)(y+z)+6=0[/itex]Choose z such that [itex]yz+1=0[/itex], or [itex]z=-{1 \over y}[/itex]
Then: [itex]y^3 - {1 \over y^3} + 6 = 0[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (y^3)^2 + 6(y^3) - 1 = 0[/itex]Solve as a quadratic equation and back substituting z gives:
[tex]x=y+z=\sqrt[3]{-3 + \sqrt{10}} - {1 \over \sqrt[3]{-3 + \sqrt{10}}}[/tex]
or
[tex]x=y+z=-\sqrt[3]{3 + \sqrt{10}} + {1 \over \sqrt[3]{3 + \sqrt{10}}}[/tex]

Note that both solutions are the same root.

Hello! Oh oops, that was a typo - yes I have x=1 as a root of the equation for Z5. And thanks for the general solution for ℝ! I've never done that before. I've been taught to test numbers until I find a root, then divide the cubic equation by the linear factor to find a quadratic factor, and use the general solution for a quadratic equation for the quadratic factor.. ): This is so much neater!

OK, I tried each of them for Z10 and I have x=1, 2, 6 or 7 satisfying f(x)=0. If I write (x+9)(x+8)(x+4)(x+3), I get a fourth order polynomial whose fourth order term does not vanish in Z10... How does this happen? Something looks wrong to me.

(:

llstelle said:
Hello! Oh oops, that was a typo - yes I have x=1 as a root of the equation for Z5. And thanks for the general solution for ℝ! I've never done that before. I've been taught to test numbers until I find a root, then divide the cubic equation by the linear factor to find a quadratic factor, and use the general solution for a quadratic equation for the quadratic factor.. ): This is so much neater!

:smile:
llstelle said:
OK, I tried each of them for Z10 and I have x=1, 2, 6 or 7 satisfying f(x)=0. If I write (x+9)(x+8)(x+4)(x+3), I get a fourth order polynomial whose fourth order term does not vanish in Z10... How does this happen? Something looks wrong to me.

(:

A polynomial of degree n can have more than n roots in Zn if n is not prime.
For instance, [itex]x^2-1[/itex] has 8 roots in Z24: [itex]\pm 1, \pm 5, \pm 7, \pm 11[/itex].

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
A polynomial of degree n can have more than n roots in Zn if n is not prime.
For instance, [itex]x^2-1[/itex] has 8 roots in Z24: [itex]\pm 1, \pm 5, \pm 7, \pm 11[/itex].

And would probably indicate that x^3+3*x+6 doesn't have a unique factorization. Z10 has zero divisors. You can probably find several factorizations.

What is factoring polynomial over rings?

Factoring polynomial over rings is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler expressions, called factors, which can be multiplied together to obtain the original polynomial. In this case, the polynomial is defined over a ring, which is a mathematical structure that shares many properties with the more familiar concept of a field.

What is the difference between factoring over rings and factoring over fields?

The main difference between factoring over rings and factoring over fields is that in a ring, not all elements have a multiplicative inverse, while in a field, every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse. This means that the process of factoring over rings can be more complex and may result in a different set of factors than factoring over fields.

Why is factoring polynomial over rings important?

Factoring polynomial over rings is important because it allows us to find the roots or solutions of the polynomial equation. This can be useful in solving real-world problems, such as finding the optimal solution to a mathematical model or determining the factors that contribute to a certain outcome.

What are some common techniques used in factoring polynomial over rings?

Some common techniques used in factoring polynomial over rings include the use of the GCD (Greatest Common Divisor), the Euclidean algorithm, and the factor theorem. These techniques can be used to identify common factors between terms in the polynomial expression and simplify the overall factoring process.

Can all polynomials be factored over rings?

No, not all polynomials can be factored over rings. For example, polynomials with irrational coefficients cannot be factored over rings. Additionally, certain polynomials with unique properties, such as prime polynomials, cannot be factored over rings in the same way as other polynomials.