1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring polynomial over rings

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Factor x^3+3x+6 over Z5, Z10, Z, Q and ℝ.

2. The attempt at a solution

For Z5, I have the roots of x^3+3x+1 in Z5, x=2=-3 and x=3=-4, so x+3 and x+4 are factors. By long division of x^3+3x+1, it is found that x+3 is a repeated factor, so x^3+3x+6=(x+4)(x+3)^2.

For Z and Q, Eisenhart's criterion is satisfied with 3, hence x^3+3x+6 is irreducible over Q, and hence Z.

For Z10 and ℝ... I don't really get how to do this problem. Is there a consistent way to work out the factors for Z10? It seems like a lot of effort. Also, I noticed that x^3+3x+6 has one real root over ℝ, and so I can factor it neatly to a linear factor (with real root) and a quadratic factor with two complex roots, but I only managed to get these roots with a computational method - and they have pretty long but explicit expressions, so again, my question: is there a proper way to work out the roots by hand here?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, llstelle! :smile:

First off, x=3 is not a root in Z5, but x=1 is.

For Z10 you only need 1 root. Is perhaps x=1 or x=2 also a root in Z10?

For R, I think you're stuck with the complicated solutions.
    But here's a general method that gives the answer fairly easily:

Starting with [itex]x^3+3x+6=0[/itex].

Substitute x=y+z, meaning you have a free choice for either y or z.
    So [itex](y+z)^3+3(y+z)+6=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (y^3+z^3+3y^2z+3yz^2) + 3(y+z)+6=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow y^3+z^3+3(yz+1)(y+z)+6=0[/itex]

Choose z such that [itex]yz+1=0[/itex], or [itex]z=-{1 \over y}[/itex]
    Then: [itex]y^3 - {1 \over y^3} + 6 = 0[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow (y^3)^2 + 6(y^3) - 1 = 0[/itex]

Solve as a quadratic equation and back substituting z gives:
    [tex]x=y+z=\sqrt[3]{-3 + \sqrt{10}} - {1 \over \sqrt[3]{-3 + \sqrt{10}}}[/tex]
    or
    [tex]x=y+z=-\sqrt[3]{3 + \sqrt{10}} + {1 \over \sqrt[3]{3 + \sqrt{10}}}[/tex]

Note that both solutions are the same root.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    Hello! Oh oops, that was a typo - yes I have x=1 as a root of the equation for Z5. And thanks for the general solution for ℝ! I've never done that before. I've been taught to test numbers until I find a root, then divide the cubic equation by the linear factor to find a quadratic factor, and use the general solution for a quadratic equation for the quadratic factor.. ): This is so much neater!

OK, I tried each of them for Z10 and I have x=1, 2, 6 or 7 satisfying f(x)=0. If I write (x+9)(x+8)(x+4)(x+3), I get a fourth order polynomial whose fourth order term does not vanish in Z10... How does this happen? Something looks wrong to me.

(:

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

:smile:

A polynomial of degree n can have more than n roots in Zn if n is not prime.
    For instance, [itex]x^2-1[/itex] has 8 roots in Z24: [itex]\pm 1, \pm 5, \pm 7, \pm 11[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. Nov 28, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And would probably indicate that x^3+3*x+6 doesn't have a unique factorization. Z10 has zero divisors. You can probably find several factorizations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook