Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring theory problem

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    I know this must be a basic factoring question but I don't get it. Somewhere in the solution below there is an error which leads to an end result of 1 = 2. I'm supposed to find where the error lies.

The factoring looks right. I think the error is in line three. you can only multiply or divide a factor (common factor between both sides) and can't subtract.... am I on the right track or just grasping at straws?

Thanks for any help

x = x
    x^2 = x^2
    x^2 − x^2 = x^2 − x^2
    x(x − x) = (x + x)(x − x)
    x = (x + x)
    x = 2x
    If we let x =1, then upon substitution we have
    (1) = 2(1)
    1 = 2

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2
    ab=ac implies b=c only if a does not equal 0. So you can't get from x(x-x) = (x+x)(x-x) to x = (x+x) since (x-x)=0. You're effectively "dividing by zero" in that step. This is one of the many reasons division by zero isn't allowed.

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Line 3 is fine.

Maybe try substituting x=1 in each line. You should be able to spot which line contains the first error, then look at the last operation you did carefully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?