Where is the error in this basic factoring problem?

In summary, The conversation is about finding an error in a factoring problem where the end result is 1 = 2. The person suspects the error is in line three where they subtracted a factor instead of multiplying or dividing it. Another person suggests substituting x=1 to identify the error. They determine that dividing by zero is not allowed and that is where the error lies.
quicknote
I know this must be a basic factoring question but I don't get it. Somewhere in the solution below there is an error which leads to an end result of 1 = 2. I'm supposed to find where the error lies.

The factoring looks right. I think the error is in line three. you can only multiply or divide a factor (common factor between both sides) and can't subtract... am I on the right track or just grasping at straws?

Thanks for any help

x = x
x^2 = x^2
x^2 − x^2 = x^2 − x^2
x(x − x) = (x + x)(x − x)
x = (x + x)
x = 2x
If we let x =1, then upon substitution we have
(1) = 2(1)
1 = 2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ab=ac implies b=c only if a does not equal 0. So you can't get from x(x-x) = (x+x)(x-x) to x = (x+x) since (x-x)=0. You're effectively "dividing by zero" in that step. This is one of the many reasons division by zero isn't allowed.

Line 3 is fine.

Maybe try substituting x=1 in each line. You should be able to spot which line contains the first error, then look at the last operation you did carefully.

1. What is factoring theory problem?

Factoring theory problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the factors of a given polynomial or equation in order to simplify it or solve it. It is an important concept in algebra and is often used in solving real-world problems.

2. How do you factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, you need to find its factors by breaking it down into simpler parts. This can be done by finding common factors, using the FOIL method, or by grouping terms. Factoring can also be done using the quadratic formula or by using a factoring calculator.

3. What is the difference between factoring and solving?

Factoring and solving are two different concepts in mathematics. Factoring involves breaking down a polynomial into its factors, while solving involves finding the value of the variable in an equation. Factoring is one method that can be used to solve an equation, but there are other methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing.

4. Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important because it allows us to simplify complex equations and find solutions more easily. It is also used in many real-life situations, such as in finance, engineering, and science. Understanding factoring can also help in developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. What are some common applications of factoring?

Factoring is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. Some common applications include finding the roots of a quadratic equation, simplifying fractions, finding the greatest common factor (GCF) or least common multiple (LCM), and simplifying complex algebraic expressions. It is also used in cryptography for creating secure codes and in computer graphics for creating smooth curves and surfaces.