Fail Academia: Keys to Dismissing Funding Metrics Over Quality Science

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary: It is rather strange. That university does not have tenure track positions. A tenured position becomes available when a faculty member with tenure leaves the university by retirement, death, or moving to another institution. At that time, all junior faculty that can be considered for tenure compete for that now open tenured slot.I'm not sure which school you are referring to.
Hornbein
Keys to failure in academia. Basically he says that it's all about conforming to the funding organizations' metrics, which don't necessarily have anything to do with good science.

Likes charlotteforbes and DiracPool
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how many untold stories there are.

As for me, I had no delusions about an academic career well before my dissertation defense.

BTW the sitar background music in the video was distracting.

Likes BillTre
gleem said:
I wonder how many untold stories there are.
At least one per failure, regardless of profession.

Likes mcastillo356
Hornbein said:
Keys to failure in academia. Basically he says that it's all about conforming to the funding organizations' metrics, which don't necessarily have anything to do with good science.
Yes, but that is hardly news. It is also not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm not saying the system is perfect -far from it- but I also do not subscribe to the idea that we should just give money to scientists and then let us do what we want with it. Doing research is often very, very expensive and if we are talking about work ultimately funded by the public, they do have a right to have a say about what we do and what work to prioritise.
I have a lab with millions of pounds worth of kit, most of it paid for by the UK taxpayers, and the total cost of running my group is not insignificant. I do NOT believe that I should just be allowed to do whatever I want with my funding.

Moreover, science is very competitive and there isn't nearly enough money to fund all ideas for research that could be done. High-impact publications etc is most definitely not a perfect metric for "good" science, but it does give some indication of how significant your work is considered to be by your peers.

Lastly, is it even possible to define what "good" science means? There are obviously criteria for how the science is carried out (using the right methods, being transparent etc), but I am not sure how would go about deciding what is "best" if you compare say one research project in theoretical cosmology with another aiming to develop better vaccines?

I suspect that unless we are careful there is a real risk that this turns into a thread about politics...

Last edited:
Likes charlotteforbes, Vanadium 50, symbolipoint and 5 others
f95toli said:
Moreover, science is very competitive and there isn't nearly enough money to fund all ideas for research that could be done. High-impact publications etc is most definitely not a perfect metric for "good" science, but it does give some indication of how significant your work is considered to be by your peers.
Within this context, how do the professional communities respond the the growing emphasis on Open Science and Public Outreach? How do those charged with hiring decisions, promotion and tenure decisions, and funding decisions view and compare open publications to conventional subscription journal publications? How are junior faculty in particular protected when they openly publish their data and results? Are public outreach activities indicative of a superior candidate?

Different segments of the scientific community appear to be either embracing Open Science (high-energy physics and astronomy) or effectively rejecting the concept (chemistry). At one Ivy League university in the US, junior faculty from a broad range of departments and disciplines compete for a single available tenure position. Within such a competition, how are the different cultural perspectives on scholarly productivity to be approached?

That video in post 1 is too long to watch. I got through about 6 minutes. The guy is saying, 'too much of a rush to publish papers'.

The sitar background music is maybe not too distracting.

Hyperfine said:
At one Ivy League university in the US, junior faculty from a broad range of departments and disciplines compete for a single available tenure position.

Can you explain further? This sounds weird to me.

Office_Shredder said:
Can you explain further? This sounds weird to me.
It is rather strange. That university does not have tenure track positions. A tenured position becomes available when a faculty member with tenure leaves the university by retirement, death, or moving to another institution. At that time, all junior faculty that can be considered for tenure compete for that now open tenured slot.

A physicist, a musician, a biologist, an historian compete for the same tenured position.

That is my understanding of how that system functions.

Hyperfine said:
It is rather strange. That university does not have tenure track positions. A tenured position becomes available when a faculty member with tenure leaves the university by retirement, death, or moving to another institution. At that time, all junior faculty that can be considered for tenure compete for that now open tenured slot.

A physicist, a musician, a biologist, an historian compete for the same tenured position.

That is my understanding of how that system functions.

Can you just say which school this is? It doesn't seem like this is a secret that no one can know about.

Office_Shredder said:
Can you just say which school this is? It doesn't seem like this is a secret that no one can know about.
I never implied it was a secret, and certainly I could say which university it is. But what difference does it make which it is beyond being an Ivy League and thus certainly "mainstream"?

Hyperfine said:
But what difference does it make which it is beyond being an Ivy League and thus certainly "mainstream"?
Confirming your information.

• Haha
Likes Hyperfine
Hyperfine said:
I never implied it was a secret, and certainly I could say which university it is. But what difference does it make which it is beyond being an Ivy League and thus certainly "mainstream"?

You're the one who asked how this mystery school compares faculty from different areas. I don't know how we're supposed to answer that.

Without further info I speculate you're thinking of Harvard and just describing their ad hoc committee badly.

Likes BillTre
Hornbein said:
Well, in international maritime law, when two ships collide, the responsibility is, a priori, of both. I haven't seen the video; I sense it's biased. Personally think it's not worth it.
¿keys to failure in academia? My Jesuit education would direct me to look for the part of me that failed.
Love, good wishes.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What is "Fail Academia" and why is it important?

"Fail Academia" is a term used to describe the current state of academic research, where funding metrics such as publication numbers and grant dollars have become more important than the quality and impact of scientific research. It is important because it can lead to a decrease in the overall quality and credibility of scientific research, as well as hinder the progress of important scientific discoveries.

2. How does the focus on funding metrics affect the quality of scientific research?

The focus on funding metrics can lead to researchers prioritizing quantity over quality, as they may be more concerned with publishing as many papers as possible to secure funding rather than conducting thorough and impactful research. This can also lead to a culture of "publish or perish," where researchers may feel pressure to publish quickly and frequently, even if it means sacrificing the rigor and accuracy of their work.

3. What are some potential consequences of prioritizing funding metrics over quality science?

One consequence is the replication crisis, where many scientific studies cannot be reproduced or do not hold up to further scrutiny. This can lead to a waste of resources and time, as well as a decrease in public trust in science. Additionally, the focus on funding metrics can also discourage innovative and risky research, as researchers may be more inclined to stick to safer, more "publishable" projects.

4. How can the scientific community address the issue of "Fail Academia"?

One solution is to shift the focus from funding metrics to the quality and impact of research. This can be done by evaluating researchers based on the significance and originality of their work, rather than just the number of publications or grant dollars. It is also important for funding agencies and institutions to prioritize long-term impact and encourage collaboration and interdisciplinary research.

5. What role do scientists play in combating "Fail Academia"?

Scientists can play a crucial role in combating "Fail Academia" by advocating for a change in the culture of academia. This can include promoting open and transparent research practices, prioritizing quality over quantity in their own work, and speaking out against the pressure to publish at all costs. Additionally, scientists can also work towards creating a more diverse and inclusive research environment, which has been shown to lead to better quality and more impactful research.