Failed first mathematical methods test

In summary: If you want to drop the class, let the professor/TA know ASAP. There's a deadline of April 4th to drop the class.
Alec Neeson
I got a 61% on my first mathematical methods for physics and engineering test. I thought I would at least get a solid C on that test :( If I were to receive a 100% on everything thing else ( 1 test , 1 final, 5 homeworks) I could end up with a 92.5% in the class. After that test I currently have a 73.33%. Should I stay in the class? I have until April 4th to drop.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should really give more information. What was difficult for you? Why did you score low? How do you think you could improve? etc. etc.

The test was over Fourier Series, Conservative fields and potentials, line and surface integrals, complex number manipulation, Spherical and cylindrical coordinates, Stoke's theorm, and Gradients, curls, divergence. I didn't evaluate the Fourier Series correctly and I have been going back over it trying to improve (messed up my integration by parts). Also I had forgotten how to do some complex number math. Everything else I did pretty well on (those 2 were worth a particularly lot of points). The class will be going over partial differential equations, Fourier transforms, series solutions to differential equations, and matrix algebra next.

How did you do in relation to the rest of the class? I remember my first exam in Mathematical Methods didn't go so well either, but the same was true for the rest of the class. In context, I didn't actually do all that bad.

Mathematical Methods isn't really one of those courses you want to drop - assumuing you're indending on completing a physics degree you'll have to get through it eventually.

I can definitely say that you shouldn't count on getting 100% on everything else. An A might be out of a reach, but a solid B certainly isn't.

Alec Neeson said:
The test was over Fourier Series, Conservative fields and potentials, line and surface integrals, complex number manipulation, Spherical and cylindrical coordinates, Stoke's theorm, and Gradients, curls, divergence. I didn't evaluate the Fourier Series correctly and I have been going back over it trying to improve (messed up my integration by parts). Also I had forgotten how to do some complex number math. Everything else I did pretty well on (those 2 were worth a particularly lot of points). The class will be going over partial differential equations, Fourier transforms, series solutions to differential equations, and matrix algebra next.

That sounds like some pretty hardcore stuff. Are you sure there isn't a grade curve?

But it's also only your first exam. I wouldn't count on acing everything, but maybe you could ask for some extra credit work if you start demonstrating that you're really making an effort.

1) Look at the syllabus or ask the professor/TA if the course is on a curve. A 61% may be a C or a B depending on the curve.
2) Do you understand the material and just made mathematical errors? Then practice more. If you don't understand the material very well (and, really, even if you do) go to office hours. Office hours are there to help you learn the material; they have the added benefit of showing the professor that you are actually trying to understand the material and improve your work.

Related to Failed first mathematical methods test

What is a "Failed first mathematical methods test"?

A "Failed first mathematical methods test" refers to a test that a student has taken for a mathematical methods course and did not meet the expected performance level to pass the test.

Why did I fail my first mathematical methods test?

There could be a variety of reasons for failing a first mathematical methods test. Some common reasons include not understanding the material, not studying enough, or making careless mistakes on the test.

How can I improve my performance on mathematical methods tests?

To improve your performance on mathematical methods tests, it is important to first identify the areas that you struggle with and then focus on studying and practicing those specific concepts. Additionally, it may be helpful to seek help from a tutor or your professor for extra support.

Will failing my first mathematical methods test affect my overall grade in the course?

It depends on the weight of the test in the overall course grade. If the test is worth a significant portion of your grade, then failing it could have a significant impact. However, if the test is only a small portion of your grade, then failing it may not have as much of an impact.

What should I do if I fail my first mathematical methods test?

If you fail your first mathematical methods test, it is important to not get discouraged. Instead, use it as a learning opportunity and identify areas where you can improve. Seek help from your professor or a tutor and come up with a plan to study and practice more effectively for future tests.