Falling Objects Puzzle: Find Ratio of Heights

In summary, the problem involves two stones thrown horizontally with the same velocity from the tops of two different buildings. One stone lands twice as far from the base of the building from which it was thrown as the other stone. The ratio of the height of the taller building to the height of the shorter building is 4:1. This can be calculated by using the formulas for distance and time, assuming horizontal velocity is constant. The stones do not have to land simultaneously and the time it takes for the stone to hit the floor is only affected by the height from which it was dropped.
JohnnyB21
two dimensions

Two stones are thrown horizontally with the same velocity from the tops of two different buildings. One stone lands twice as far from the based of the building from which it was thrown as does the other stone. Find the ratiio of the height of the taller building to the height of the shorter building.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip:
Horisontal velocity is constant.
distance = velocity * time
As the second stone travel twice the distance of the first one, it must bee falling for twice the time:
d=v*t(1)
2*d=v*t(2)

Hope that helped.
Cheers.
J.

More

If it falls twice the distance and it takes twice the time, then that means it's twice as high, right? The ratio would be 2 to 1? That seems logical but it seems too simple to be correct. What am I not seeing?

JohnnyB21 said:
If it falls twice the distance and it takes twice the time, then that means it's twice as high, right? The ratio would be 2 to 1? That seems logical but it seems too simple to be correct. What am I not seeing?
No one said it fell (vertically) twice the distance! It fell for twice the time. Now you have to know how distance fallen relates to time. The distance fallen is proportional to the square of the time: [itex]d = 1/2gt^2[/itex]

So... if the time to fall is double, what can you say about the relative height of the buildings?

this question looks tricky but if you know how to tackle it its really quite easy. Doc Al said it right. If you do the calculation, you would get this:
Time of the taller building = 2 times the time of the smaller building, since horizontal distance is double
Horizontal Distance traveled by the projectile of the taller building = 2 times smaller

Now we can work with the verticla component and time in order to get the height:
Shorter Building: d = vot + 1/2at^2
d = 1/2at^2
t = sqrt(2d/a)

Taller Building: d = vot + 1/2at^2
d = 1/2a(2t)^2
t = sqrt(8d/a)
Therefore, the ratio of building heights is 4:1.

Most questions like these end up with squares.
I use to think that since the vertical distance is a quadratic function of time, "2 times the time" must mean 2^2 times the distance. If the stone from the taller building flew three times the distance of the other stone, height ratio would be 3^2=9 to 1.

Assuming that we are neglecting atmospheric drag... =)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Isnt this a bogus question to start with? Seeing we can't measure time properly. Could it even possible for those two stones to land at a precise moment in time simultaneously?

What would the odds be on that? Can someone give me odds of two objects simultaneously touching the same point since we don't have a proper measurement of time? Would you have to go down to the quantum level to even start to guestimate?

Just thinking here, nm if you don't want to continue.

soln

4:1

Using parametric equations gives a simple solution

y1(t) = h - at^2/2
y2(t) = H - at^2/2

solve yn(t) = 0

t1 = sqrt(2h/a)
t2 = sqrt(2H/a)

x1(t) = vo*t
x2(t) = vo*t

r1 = vo*t1
r2 = vo*t2

r2/r1 = (vo*t2)/(vo*t1)

r2/r1 = t2/t1 and r2 = 2r1

2 = sqrt(2H/a)/sqrt(2h/a)
4 = (2H/a)*(a/2h)

4 = H/h

mapper said:
Isnt this a bogus question to start with? Seeing we can't measure time properly. Could it even possible for those two stones to land at a precise moment in time simultaneously?
Why do you assume that the stones land simultaneously? All we know is that the stones are thrown with the same speed. No one said they are thrown or land at the same time. And it's not relevant anyway.

The stones are thrown at the same horizontal speed, but the vertical heights of the buildings are different. The time it takes for the stone to hit the floor has nothing to do with horizontal speed (now we are neglecting air resistance here), but only to do with the height with which it was dropped. Remember, gravity works in the vertical direction and thus only affects the vertical.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just don't see how Nenad got:
d = 1/2a(2t)^2
t = sqrt(8d/a)

How do you get the "8" in this answer?

I am getting sqrt(d/2a)=t

I am sure there is a simple answer to this. Can anyone point it out to me?

paul11273 said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just don't see how Nenad got:
Beats me what Nenad was up to. The problem is straightforward:
[tex]D_1 = 1/2 a t_1^2[/tex]

[tex]D_2 = 1/2 a t_2^2[/tex]

So, since [tex]t_2 = 2t_1[/tex]:
[tex]D_2 = 1/2 a (2t_1)^2 = 4(1/2 a t_1^2) = 4D_1[/tex]

Thanks Doc Al. That is how I worked it out and came to the 4:1 answer.
I thought I was missing something with that 8 in Nenad's intermediate steps.

Now, can you figure out the answer with the corrections necessary to include the general relativity component induced by the differing heights of the buildings? <is evil>

Mad Arab said:
Now, can you figure out the answer with the corrections necessary to include the general relativity component induced by the differing heights of the buildings? <is evil>

Yes, considering GR but not air resistance it's D2 = 4.000 D1 for even the tallest building (and half tallest-building) on Earth. :wink:

Related to Falling Objects Puzzle: Find Ratio of Heights

1. What is the purpose of the "Falling Objects Puzzle"?

The purpose of the "Falling Objects Puzzle" is to determine the ratio of heights between two falling objects. This puzzle is often used in physics and mathematics to practice problem-solving skills and understanding of gravity and motion.

2. How is the ratio of heights calculated in the "Falling Objects Puzzle"?

To calculate the ratio of heights, the time it takes for each object to hit the ground is measured. The ratio is then determined by dividing the height of the taller object by the height of the shorter object. This is based on the concept that objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass or weight.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the "Falling Objects Puzzle"?

The accuracy of the "Falling Objects Puzzle" can be affected by several factors, such as air resistance, wind, and human error in timing the objects' fall. It is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment to minimize these external factors and obtain accurate results.

4. How is the "Falling Objects Puzzle" relevant in the real world?

The "Falling Objects Puzzle" is relevant in the real world as it demonstrates the universal law of gravity and its effect on objects. This concept is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in free fall, such as projectiles or falling bodies.

5. Are there any variations of the "Falling Objects Puzzle"?

Yes, there are variations of the "Falling Objects Puzzle" that involve different objects or scenarios. For example, instead of finding the ratio of heights, the puzzle can involve finding the time it takes for an object to hit the ground from different heights. It can also include more than two objects, making it a more complex problem to solve.