Faraday's law + bicycle training

In summary, there is a device called a roller trainer that allows cyclists to train indoors. However, it does not provide enough resistance for proper training, so resistance units are added. These units can be mechanical or use magnets to create resistance. The relationship between speed and force is linear in this case of a loop moving through a B field. The conversation also mentions Lenz's law and includes links for further information.
traycerb
Can anyone verify that I'm thinking about this situation correctly:

among cyclists, there exists a thing called a roller trainer, which allows cyclists (or anyone who wants a workout) to train indoors (eg when it's too cold out). It looks like this:

http://www.fact-canada.com/Tacx/Tacx%20Antares.jpg

These typically don't provide enough resistance to provide proper training, so resistance units are added. Usually they take the form of units that interface mechanically with the belt or roller somehow, but the cleverest ones are just magnets that ride behind the metal rollers (usually aluminum), which look like this:

http://www.sportcrafters.com/sportcraftersimages/resistanceunit.jpg

This is a case of a loop moving through a B field. And the relationship between speed (i.e. speed of the rollers at the point closest to the B field) and force (the resistance the unit provides) is linear, correct?

Any other comment or anything I'm missing? I have a set of these at home, and I'd be curious to know how much current is running through these, but I think I'd have too many not-trvially-measured unknowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Faraday's law?

Faraday's law, also known as Faraday's electromagnetic induction, is a fundamental principle of electromagnetism that states that a changing magnetic field produces an electric field and vice versa. It is named after the physicist Michael Faraday who first described it in the 1830s.

2. How does Faraday's law apply to bicycle training?

In bicycle training, Faraday's law is used in the concept of electromagnetic resistance. This means that a magnetic field is created by a set of magnets inside the bicycle trainer, and when the cyclist pedals, the motion of the wheel through the magnetic field creates an electric current, which in turn generates resistance to the pedals.

3. What are the benefits of using Faraday's law in bicycle training?

Using Faraday's law in bicycle training allows for a more realistic and customizable cycling experience. The resistance can be easily adjusted by changing the magnetic field strength, allowing for a variety of training intensities. It also eliminates the need for traditional resistance methods such as friction pads or air resistance, which can wear out and require maintenance.

4. Can Faraday's law be used in all types of bicycle training?

Yes, Faraday's law can be applied to both stationary and outdoor cycling. It is commonly used in stationary bicycles or trainers, but it is also used in some outdoor bicycles such as electric bikes, which use an electric motor to assist with pedaling.

5. Are there any limitations to using Faraday's law in bicycle training?

One limitation of using Faraday's law in bicycle training is that it requires a power source to generate the magnetic field. This means that the trainer must be plugged into an outlet or use batteries. Additionally, the cost of a bicycle trainer that utilizes Faraday's law may be higher than traditional resistance methods.