Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's vs Ampere's Laws and current density

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    Greetings all,

I know that Faraday's and Ampere's law are related by M.E., but can I say the following?

By Faraday’s Law, a time varying magnetic field induces an electromotive force, which produces an electric current density in a media.

Up until EMF, that's Faraday's, but is the rest of the sentence true? I would assume yes since J=sigma*E, or E=J/sigma to keep it in line with using Del X E = -jwB, or Del X J/sigma=-jwB.

Just trying to confirm.

Thanks!
    VV5

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

The EMF can produce a current if there is a circuit. The current will depend on EMF and resistance. The current density will depend on E and resistivity.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    On the right side of Del X E you would have the negative of the time derivative of B. The substitution for E looks fine.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4
    Thanks to both!

6. Mar 26, 2015 #5
    hi
    i have a coil of three turns and the spacing between the turns is 5 mm. i feed the coil with a signal of 13.24 MHz. and i put a solenoid of 3 mm radius 21 cm away from the coil to induce an emf. the solenoid has 23 number of tuns, 28 mm length. the induced emf is 280 mm V (rms) which is almost 10 times more than what i calculated. when i diconnect the coil from the signal generator, the induced voltage is 128 mmV(rms). the net emf= 152 mmVrms..
    when the feeding freequency increased to 13.56 MHz and the solenoids number of turns decreased to 22. induced emf =460 mmV (rms) discennected 213 mmV. net induced emf=247 mV (rms).
    can any recomand me any think.
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook