Farmer brown, just hire a contractor already.

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary: And it has to be 30x100, as 35x95 gives less area.In summary, Farmer Brown has 260 feet of fencing and wants to build a pen adjoining the whole side of his 100-ft barn. For maximum area, the dimensions of the pen should be 100 x 30 feet, as it is the closest to a square and has a positive slope on the interval (-infinity, 30].
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Suppose that farmer brown has 260 feet of fencing and wants to build a pen that adjoins the whole side of his 100-ft barn (shown). What should the dimensions be for maximum area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, sorry no picture, but essentially we have a perimeter of 260, one of the sides must be at least 100 ft (adjoins the whole barn) and we want maximum area.

Well, my immediate thought it that a square always has the most area for any rectangle with a given perimeter, so I'm assuming we want what's AS CLOSE to a square as possible, which would be 100X30, yielding an area of 3000 square feet. But I suppose I need to prove this with calculus.

So.. any suggestions?

If perimeter is 260:
260 = 2x + 2y

y = 130 - x

Okay, y = 130 - x, and y must be at least 100. Y is greater than 100 when x is less than 30, so my answer is 30 because that's closest to a square, but let's prove it with calculus..

A = xy = x(130-x)
= 130x - x^2

A' = 130 - 2x

Okay, so now I need to find all critical points of the derivitive of area, where x =< 30, right?

so immediately, I have a critical point of 30, because my interval is (-infinity, 30]

Solve the derivative for 0,

0 = 130 - 2x
130 = 2x
65 = x

So we have a critical point of 65 (perfect square) and 30, but 65 is not in our interval, therefore the only critical point is 30, therefore 30 is the maximum within the interval, therefore the dimensions for maximum area are 100 x 30.

Is this adequate proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:

That's a good approach, but there is one (very minor gap) here. You said that 30 was a critical point, and that's certainly correct. But this only implies that 30 can be a maximum or a minimum. You must show that it cannot be a minimum. (because if it were a minimum, then any other value is better than 30!)

micromass said:
Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:

That's a good approach, but there is one (very minor gap) here. You said that 30 was a critical point, and that's certainly correct. But this only implies that 30 can be a maximum or a minimum. You must show that it cannot be a minimum. (because if it were a minimum, then any other value is better than 30!)

Solve A' for any point on the interval (-infinity, 30] and confirm it is positive?

A' = 130 - 2(29)
A' = 72

Therefore, since there are no other critical points on the interval, it has a positive slope the entire way, so it is always increasing on the interval, so of course, 30 is the maximum?

1MileCrash said:
Solve A' for any point on the interval (-infinity, 30] and confirm it is positive?

A' = 130 - 2(29)
A' = 72

Therefore, since there are no other critical points on the interval, it has a positive slope the entire way, so it is always increasing on the interval, so of course, 30 is the maximum?

Yes, that sounds good. I may seem stupid now to check this, but sometimes it is important not to forget it.

micromass said:
Yes, that sounds good. I may seem stupid now to check this, but sometimes it is important not to forget it.

No, I completely understand its importance for proof's sake.

Thanks!

I would assume that the side of the pen adjoining the barn doesn't need any fence !

If we assume a rectangular shape AND you MUST use the whole side of the barn, then you have 260 = 2x + y + (y -100), and y ≥ 100.

1. Why does Farmer Brown need to hire a contractor?

Farmer Brown may need to hire a contractor for a variety of reasons, such as a large construction project, repairs or renovations on his farm, or specialized tasks that require expertise and equipment he does not have.

2. What are the benefits of hiring a contractor?

Contractors are professionals with specialized skills and experience in their field. They can ensure quality work, save time and effort for the farmer, and provide necessary equipment and materials. They also take on liability and insurance for the project.

3. Can Farmer Brown do the work himself instead of hiring a contractor?

Farmer Brown may have some basic skills and knowledge, but it is important to consider the complexity of the project and whether he has the necessary equipment and resources. Hiring a contractor can also save time and prevent potential mistakes that could cost more in the long run.

4. How can Farmer Brown find a reliable contractor?

Farmer Brown can ask for recommendations from trusted sources, such as friends or other farmers who have hired contractors before. He can also do research online, read reviews, and ask for references from potential contractors. It is important to thoroughly vet and compare different contractors before making a decision.

5. How much will it cost for Farmer Brown to hire a contractor?

The cost will depend on the scope of the project, the contractor's rates, and any additional expenses such as materials and permits. It is important for Farmer Brown to get quotes from multiple contractors and discuss their rates and payment terms before making a decision.