Finding the Area Between Two Functions on a Given Interval

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the problem is to find the area between the graphs of two functions on the interval [-1,2]. To solve this, the two functions are set equal to each other to find the points of intersection. The resulting function, x^2 - 2x = 0, represents the area between the two curves. To find the area, the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions is evaluated on each subinterval between consecutive crossover points. The dx symbol is always needed in the integral, and using absolute values ensures a positive area. The typo in the second curve has been corrected.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region between the graphs of: y=x^3+3x^2+5x and y = x^3+2x^2+7x on the interval [-1,2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not entirely sure what they mean by the REGION between the graphs, is this the region which encloses an area when the two functions cross over each other? not entirely sure what that means. I digress.

To find where they overlap I set them equal to each other and then isolated one entire side to zero. and got: x^2 - 2x = 0
So is this like my "main function" that I need in order to find the area. Is this the function that represents the area in between the aforementioned functions? If so, then I'd have to get the area and to get the area of any function I am guessing I'll have to take it's integral and since it's been defined on the interval [-1,2] I use those two points as a and b for my integral.

Therefore,
∫[from -1 to 2] |x^2 - 2x|dx

I know area is always positive so is it a good idea to always use absolute values when taking a functions integral? And is the dx always needed all the other problems I did seem to use that dx symbol.From that point I get a bit stuck as to what to do next

Please help
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The area between the two curves is positive regardless of which curve is uppermost at any value of x. Hence it is equal to the integral between the two x limits of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions.

In practice the easiest way to evaluate it is often to break up the integral into parts that run between consecutive crossover points. Evaluate the integral of the difference of the functions over each of those subintervals (don't put absolute value signs inside the integrals), then add up the absolute values of the results.

Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region between the graphs of: y=x^3+3x^2+5x and y = x^2+2x^2+7 on the interval [-1,2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not entirely sure what they mean by the REGION between the graphs, is this the region which encloses an area when the two functions cross over each other? not entirely sure what that means. I digress.

To find where they overlap I set them equal to each other and then isolated one entire side to zero. and got: x^2 - 2x = 0
So is this like my "main function" that I need in order to find the area. Is this the function that represents the area in between the aforementioned functions? If so, then I'd have to get the area and to get the area of any function I am guessing I'll have to take it's integral and since it's been defined on the interval [-1,2] I use those two points as a and b for my integral.

Therefore,
∫[from -1 to 2] |x^2 - 2x|dx

I know area is always positive so is it a good idea to always use absolute values when taking a functions integral? And is the dx always needed all the other problems I did seem to use that dx symbol.From that point I get a bit stuck as to what to do next

Please help
Thank you

Is there a typo in your second curve y = x^2+2x^2+7? Should that be y = x^3 + 2 x^2 + 7, or should it be y = x^2 + 2x + 7?

1. What is an integral area type problem?

An integral area type problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or between two curves using integration techniques.

2. How is an integral area type problem solved?

Integral area type problems are solved using integration techniques, specifically the definite integral. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. What are the applications of integral area type problems?

Integral area type problems have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to find areas, volumes, and other quantities that cannot be easily calculated using basic geometry.

4. What are the key concepts needed to understand integral area type problems?

To understand integral area type problems, one needs to have a good understanding of calculus, specifically integration. Knowledge of basic integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, is essential in solving these types of problems.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when solving integral area type problems?

One common mistake made when solving integral area type problems is not paying attention to the limits of integration. It is important to carefully determine the correct limits and make sure they are consistent with the given problem. Another common mistake is not simplifying the integrand before integrating, which can lead to incorrect solutions.