1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding critical values of hard functions

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ive been working on this problem for about 2 hours now and I can not get the right critical values. Please help.

2. Relevant equations
    I found the derivative of the equation is sqrt(3/2) x-3/8 (10-3 x) and ive checked this over many times so im pretty confident in my answer.

3. The attempt at a solution Im sure what to do with the √2 and the 8 on the bottom. I did it with disregarding them and I now that's wrong but it cam up with the closet answer. I got it to the point of x+9x=30/√3 I get lost after that and im pretty sure my work before this point is wrong also.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

im just trying to find the smallest area a square and triangle with perimeter some of 10 can be.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see an equation anywhere; an equation must have an '=' sign in it. Do you mean that you want to solve
    [tex] \sqrt\frac{3}{2}\: x - \frac{3}{8} (10 - 3x) = 0?[/tex]
    If so, that is just elementary algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted