• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding critical values of hard functions

• Thread starter hannazahhh
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Ive been working on this problem for about 2 hours now and I can not get the right critical values. Please help.

Homework Equations

I found the derivative of the equation is sqrt(3/2) x-3/8 (10-3 x) and ive checked this over many times so im pretty confident in my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im sure what to do with the √2 and the 8 on the bottom. I did it with disregarding them and I now that's wrong but it cam up with the closet answer. I got it to the point of x+9x=30/√3 I get lost after that and im pretty sure my work before this point is wrong also.

Homework Statement

im just trying to find the smallest area a square and triangle with perimeter some of 10 can be.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Ive been working on this problem for about 2 hours now and I can not get the right critical values. Please help.

Homework Equations

I found the derivative of the equation is sqrt(3/2) x-3/8 (10-3 x) and ive checked this over many times so im pretty confident in my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im sure what to do with the √2 and the 8 on the bottom. I did it with disregarding them and I now that's wrong but it cam up with the closet answer. I got it to the point of x+9x=30/√3 I get lost after that and im pretty sure my work before this point is wrong also.

Homework Statement

im just trying to find the smallest area a square and triangle with perimeter some of 10 can be.
I don't see an equation anywhere; an equation must have an '=' sign in it. Do you mean that you want to solve
[tex] \sqrt\frac{3}{2}\: x - \frac{3}{8} (10 - 3x) = 0?[/tex]
If so, that is just elementary algebra.