Fascinated by things I learned, but have forgotten

• Thread starter Lifeboatboy
  • Start date
In summary, being fascinated by things you learned but have forgotten means that you were once interested in a particular topic or subject and gained knowledge about it, but over time, you have forgotten the details or specifics of that knowledge. Forgetting is a natural part of the learning process and can happen if we do not consistently review and reinforce the information we have learned. It is completely normal to be fascinated by things you have learned but have forgotten, and the best way to relearn them is through review and practice. To prevent forgetting, it is important to regularly review and practice the information, make connections between new and existing knowledge, and stay curious and seek new information.
Lifeboatboy
I'm what could loosely be called 'an experienced professional' in the investment banking world in London, but with those irritating habits of asking myself: "I wonder how maths and physics would help me solve...", etc. I have no commercial or professional interest as such, for the avoidance of doubt, but I do get irritated when I can't remember how you'd factually/mathematically determine x, y or z.

One such conundrum occurred to me today, hence going online, seeking the answer, and not reaching a satisfactory conclusion. I'll post it now, in the hope someone can throw some ideas my way.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

The New Member Introductions forum is not for questions. But you are welcome to ask your question in the appropriate forum. We shall surely help you as much as possible.

Likes Lifeboatboy
Respectfully, @Wrichik Basu , there was no question in my introduction above, and I have posted the question separately.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Lifeboatboy said:
Respectfully, @Wrichik Basu , there was no question in my introduction above, and I have posted the question separately.
I know, I just mentioned it for your knowledge. :smile:

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF! :smile:
Lifeboatboy said:
with those irritating habits of asking myself: "I wonder how maths and physics would help me solve..."
That is a good habit, IMO. I think it is a common curiosity for many of us, especially those with a science and math background. I frequently get stopped in my tracks when I see something new that doesn't intuitively make sense right away. Since I'm an EE, it is common for me to see a new type of antenna, and I have to stop and think for a bit about why it's designed the way it is. Or even with some mechanical things, I need to stop and think through why it was designed to move the way it does. Keeps the mind engaged and sharp! :smile:

Likes Lifeboatboy and Wrichik Basu
Thanks @berkeman - appreciate the vote of support
:ok:

Likes berkeman

What does it mean to be fascinated by things I learned, but have forgotten?

Being fascinated by things you learned but have forgotten means that you were once interested in a particular topic or subject and gained knowledge about it, but over time, you have forgotten the details or specifics of that knowledge.

Why do I forget things that I was once fascinated by?

Forgetting is a natural part of the learning process. As we learn new information, our brain prioritizes what is most important and relevant to our daily lives. If we do not consistently review and reinforce the information we have learned, our brain may deem it as less important and eventually forget it.

Is it normal to be fascinated by things I learned, but have forgotten?

Yes, it is completely normal to be fascinated by things you have learned but have forgotten. In fact, many people experience this phenomenon. It is a sign that you have a curious and inquisitive mind, and are constantly seeking new knowledge and information.

How can I relearn things that I have forgotten?

The best way to relearn things that you have forgotten is through review and practice. This can include rereading old notes, studying from textbooks or online resources, or even discussing the topic with others. Consistent and deliberate review can help reinforce the information and make it easier to remember in the future.

Is there a way to prevent forgetting things that I am fascinated by?

While forgetting is a natural process, there are ways to prevent it from happening as quickly. One way is to regularly review and practice the information you have learned. Another way is to make connections between the new information and things you already know, as this can help solidify the knowledge in your brain. Additionally, staying curious and actively seeking new knowledge can also help prevent forgetting.