Discovering Everyone's Favorite Band(s)

• Thread starter Comeback City
  • Start date
  • Tags
    music
In summary, everyone seems to like different bands around here. Some people like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, and Styx. Others like Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Dio. Some like Swedish Melodic Death bands, Arch Enemy, and Queens of the Stone Age. There is no one "favorite" band.
Comeback City
What's everyone's favorite band(s) around here?

I recently got into hard rock and similar genres, and became a big Led Zeppelin fan. Besides them, I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Styx, and Def Leppard.

All in all, though, LZ is my favorite band and my favorite song would have to be Kashmir.

Science news on Phys.org
I'll stick with the Beatles.

Likes 1oldman2
Comeback City said:
my favorite song would have to be Kashmir.

here is a nice version

i like porcupine tree,pink floyd and thin lizzy

david2 said:
here is a nice version

i like porcupine tree,pink floyd and thin lizzy

That was so good... The violinist in the middle of the song was amazing!

Comeback City said:
a big Led Zeppelin fan
If you can get a hold of a copy give a listen to Zeppelin's "BBC sessions" (a two album set.) Also Hendrix's "Studio Outtakes" is a three volume set that would likely put a smile on Robert Plants face. If you should find that Blues/Rock appeals to you, most anything by "Ten Years after" would be worth your time. (Styx's "Paradise Theater" is a great album also) :thumbup:

Likes Comeback City
1oldman2 said:
If you can get a hold of a copy give a listen to Zeppelin's "BBC sessions" (a two album set.) Also Hendrix's "Studio Outtakes" is a three volume set that would likely put a smile on Robert Plants face. If you should find that Blues/Rock appeals to you, most anything by "Ten Years after" would be worth your time. (Styx's "Paradise Theater" is a great album also) :thumbup:
I'm definitely going to look into those!

Likes 1oldman2
Summoning (Austrian Atmospheric Black Metal), Falkenbach (Icelandic/German mixture of Folk and Black Metal), Arkona (Russian Folk Metal), Tyr (Faroese Metal), Solstafir (Icelandic ... very own kind of metal/rock/ambiente), and many more :)

Metmann said:
Summoning (Austrian Atmospheric Black Metal), Falkenbach (Icelandic/German mixture of Folk and Black Metal), Arkona (Russian Folk Metal), Tyr (Faroese Metal), Solstafir (Icelandic ... very own kind of metal/rock/ambiente), and many more :)
The only metal bands I listen to are Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Dio... I've never heard of some of those music genres o_O They sound pretty cool though:cool:

Likes Metmann
Comeback City said:
Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Dio

Black Sabbath and Dio are legend \m/ . For Metallica it depends on the song, but I'm in general not a big fan of american Thrash Metal ;)

Comeback City said:
I've never heard of some of those music genres o_O They sound pretty cool though:cool:

Just try listening to them ^^

Likes Comeback City
Comeback City said:
What's everyone's favorite band(s) around here?

Conduction bands.

Vanadium 50 said:
Conduction bands.
Is this a common joke among condensed matter physicists? o0)

Likes Yellowkies_3275
If we're talking hard/metal rock bands then I'd go with Megadeth, NIN, Soilwork, In Flames, Symphony X...

Likes Comeback City
Greg Bernhardt said:
If we're talking hard/metal rock bands then I'd go with Megadeth, NIN, Soilwork, In Flames, Symphony X...
Megadeth definitely has among the best guitar work of any rock/metal bands, but the singing isn't always the greatest IMO.

EDIT: singing isn't*

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
In Flames

When we're talking about Swedish Melodic Death bands, I have to throw Arch Enemy into the ring.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
1oldman2 said:
If you should find that Blues/Rock appeals to you, most anything by "Ten Years after" would be worth your time.
Finally started listening to Ten Years After... wow, they're good!

Likes 1oldman2
Comeback City said:
Finally started listening to Ten Years After... wow, they're good!
You're almost 50 years behind the times. Their most memorable song, "I'm Going Home" was really big in 1968, and I remember it well. Lead singer/lead guitar - Alvin Lee. He passed away back in 2013.

Likes 1oldman2 and Comeback City
In no particular order:
  • Anthrax
  • Cinderella
  • Evanescence
  • Forgotten Tales
  • Helloween
  • Kiss
  • Megadeth
  • Metallica
  • Queen
  • Steel Panther
  • Van Halen
  • W.A.S.P.

Likes Comeback City
DennisN said:
I also like Pink Floyd
A few of my friends and I always have a debate on which Pink Floyd album is the best... Dark Side or The Wall. They say The Wall and I say Dark Side (although I love Animals, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle almost equally). Which do you think is best? (This question is open for anyone else too :smile:)

Comeback City said:
Which do you think is best?
I can't choose any "best", but I'd say my top three is The Wall, Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. I very seldom listen to The Wall nowadays, because I've heard it so many times (I once played in a Pink Floyd cover band), and I don't listen to Dark Side, because for some reason it brings my mood down too low. So nowadays I favor Wish You Were Here, since I can listen to it to just enjoy the music :smile:.

Likes 1oldman2 and Comeback City
When I hear someone talking about Pink Floyd, I can only think of one thing, Voivod's "Astronomy Domine", which is one of the rare cover that is better than the original:

Likes gmax137 and Comeback City
Listening examples (my favorite songs) of the bands I mentioned and some others.
Bands for silent, thoughtful moments:

Bands for heavy party
Bands for both

(PS: The nomenclature for the genres (e.g. atmospheric bla bla) displays my personal feeling, no official classification ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Comeback City
Although I like a lot of bands already mentioned, I have some favorites that have not yet been listed:

Little Feat: a mix of rock and other musical influences

The Beatles: !

The Who: best protest song ever

Greatful Dead:

Dylan:

Likes 1oldman2, Asymptotic and Comeback City
I own ALL the albums from just one group, Rush.

Likes Comeback City
I like any tune that picks me up and carries me for a while.

Neeme Jarvi's rendition of "American Patrol" is a great one but was removed from Youtube.

Right now I've been listening to a lot of Swans and stuff. Their newer, more experimental material is probably some of the best music to come out this decade.

jack action said:
When I hear someone talking about Pink Floyd, I can only think of one thing, Voivod's ...

Thanks jack. That is indeed a great cover. As far as Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates is my favorite. I still play the vinyl album I bought in high school, 1972.

gmax137 said:
Thanks jack. That is indeed a great cover. As far as Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates is my favorite. I still play the vinyl album I bought in high school, 1972.
I found the time to listen to all 15 of Pink Floyd's studio albums, and my personal favorites are Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here. It's hard to say which of them is number one since they are all so good. Piper is a very good album for the psychedelic genre, but I prefer prog over psychedelic.
Also, many people despise Atom Heart Mother... I thought it was great (except the dude eating breakfast in the last song is rather unnecessary)

1. What methods are used to determine everyone's favorite band(s)?

The methods used to determine everyone's favorite band(s) vary depending on the study. Some common methods include surveys, online polls, and data analysis from music streaming services.

2. Can the results of discovering everyone's favorite band(s) be considered accurate?

The accuracy of the results depends on the methodology used and the sample size of the study. If the study has a large and diverse sample size, the results can be considered more accurate.

3. How do personal biases affect the results of discovering everyone's favorite band(s)?

Personal biases can affect the results in a number of ways. For example, if the study is conducted in a specific region, the results may be biased towards popular bands in that area. Additionally, individuals may be more likely to select bands they are familiar with or have a personal connection to, rather than objectively choosing their true favorite.

4. Is there a difference between favorite band(s) and most popular band(s)?

Yes, there can be a difference between favorite band(s) and most popular band(s). Favorite bands are based on individual preferences, while the popularity of a band can be influenced by factors such as marketing, media coverage, and trends.

5. Can discovering everyone's favorite band(s) change over time?

Yes, discovering everyone's favorite band(s) can change over time. As people's music tastes evolve and new bands emerge, the results of a study may change. Additionally, the popularity of a band may also fluctuate over time, affecting the results of a study.