FB Friend Suggestion: Privacy Violation or Digital Age Necessity?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestion
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of privacy and the invasive nature of social media platforms, particularly Facebook. The participants discuss their experiences with FB's suggestions for friends and how it seems to access their personal information without their consent. They also bring up the business model of these platforms and how they make money from targeted advertising using users' private data. The conversation ends with a mention of the EU's GDPR and the need for political intervention to regulate these companies.
DaveC426913 said:
...no gun to your head.

That's correct. That's why I am off Facebook. I can live without it. But the point I was trying to make from this whole thread is that we need political decisions to contain these giants on how they use users' data. Their terms and conditions should be aligned with a well-defined privacy conditions. They shouldn't be allowed to define what digital privacy is. I think the free stuff has some negative impact. It's allowed an intrusive business model. I don't know if we can change that, though.

Computer science news on Phys.org
EngWiPy said:
That's correct. That's why I am off Facebook. I can live without it. But the point I was trying to make from this whole thread is that we need political decisions to contain these giants on how they use users' data. Their terms and conditions should be aligned with a well-defined privacy conditions. They shouldn't be allowed to define what digital privacy is. I think the free stuff has some negative impact. It's allowed an intrusive business model. I don't know if we can change that, though.
It's changing. I think there's been an argument afoot that Facebook is beginning to serve as a primary news source for a significant fraction of the population.
That allows regulators to get a foot in the door. They are already leaning on Facebook about its manipulation of political news items.