Can I Validate My FEA Study for a Rotational Component?

• Thread starter Jameseyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fea
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a preparatory FEA for a rotational component as part of a university project. The speaker is confident in their ability to set up an accurate model, but wants to validate it with a simpler FEA that can be verified by hand. Ideas for accomplishing this include using beam torsion equations, but the model may be too simple. The option of validating with a physical experiment using a representative prototype is also mentioned, and the speaker requests a diagram or drawing of the component and its loads for further guidance on selecting a verification calculation.
Jameseyboy
So I am planning on doing an FEA for a rotational component as part of university project.

I am fairly confident about the analysis itself, meshing, convergence, etc.. I feel I am capable of setting up an accurate model. However, I need to validate my study with a simple preparatory FEA which can be verified by hand.

Any ideas on how this may be accomplished?

My first thought was to use beam torsion equations for a simple cylinder, but the model is then too simple and will not be sufficient. I am not sure if being verified by hand means using matrices, etc.

Likes mechpeac
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the component ?

Can you validate with a physical experiment using a representative prototype?

If you want more guidance on a potential verification calculation selection you need to supply a diagram/drawing of your component and its loads.

1. What is FEA Validation Technique?

FEA Validation Technique, or Finite Element Analysis Validation Technique, is a method used to assess the accuracy and reliability of finite element models in simulating real-world engineering problems. It involves comparing the results obtained from the finite element analysis with experimental data or analytical solutions.

2. Why is FEA Validation Technique important?

FEA Validation Technique is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of finite element models. By validating the results obtained from the analysis, engineers can have more confidence in using the models to make critical engineering decisions and design more efficient and reliable products.

3. How is FEA Validation Technique performed?

FEA Validation Technique involves comparing the results obtained from the finite element analysis with experimental data or analytical solutions. This can be done by performing the same analysis on a physical prototype and comparing the results, or by comparing the results with analytical solutions obtained from mathematical equations.

4. What are the benefits of using FEA Validation Technique?

Some of the benefits of using FEA Validation Technique include increased confidence in the accuracy of finite element models, improved understanding of the behavior of complex structures, and reduced overall time and cost for product development. It also allows for the identification of potential errors or discrepancies in the model, which can be corrected to improve its accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to FEA Validation Technique?

Yes, there are some limitations to FEA Validation Technique. It requires access to experimental data or analytical solutions, which may not always be available. Additionally, the accuracy of the validation results depends on the quality of the experimental data or analytical solutions used. It is also important to note that FEA Validation Technique does not guarantee the accuracy of the finite element model, but rather provides a level of confidence in its results.