Feasibility of a home built beta cell or similar nuclear battery?

In summary, Americium from smoke detectors might be a possible source of power for a home built nuclear reactor, but the cost and safety concerns make it impractical.
JuggleFive
I've read about why it would be nearly impossible for an individual to construct a working home built nuclear reactor (of any variety), but I've never understood why a home built nuclear battery couldn't be constructed (think Henry Moseley's work). The size and power output would be impractical I'm sure, but it would make for an interesting project/demonstration. Any thoughts/links/information you can share? Has this been done before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure about homebuilt, but there have been designs using tritium powered lights to drive solar cells.
Terrible efficiency, but very robust and durable.

The problem lies is obtaining any significant quantity of an isotope useful for an RTG.

I was thinking more along the lines of a direct charge device rather than an RTG. Readily available source materials are weak and you really wouldn't want the risk of working with stronger sources anyway however, multiple weak sources charging a capacitor bank to provide a periodic short burst of power (every hour/day/week?) might be possible? It probably hasn't been done for a reason, I just can't figure out why.

JuggleFive said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a direct charge device rather than an RTG. Readily available source materials are weak and you really wouldn't want the risk of working with stronger sources anyway however, multiple weak sources charging a capacitor bank to provide a periodic short burst of power (every hour/day/week?) might be possible? It probably hasn't been done for a reason, I just can't figure out why.

There are such devices called betavoltaics, however the energy produced by radioactive decay is pretty small. You couldn't power a home that way.

Well, is it not the case that the problem is cost and safety, not power density? Otherwise RTGs would never find a use? For instance: (say) Na-22 (half life 2 yrs, 0.5 MeV beta) would deliver almost ~0.3 kW/mole for a ~year, or 13 kW from one kilogram, so that a few kilos would heat/power most homes.

QuantumPion said:
The problem lies is obtaining any significant quantity of an isotope useful for an RTG.
Yes, of course, disregard above.

Americium from smoke detectors?

1ledzepplin1 said:
Americium from smoke detectors?

The specific power of Americium is around 0.1 W/g. One smoke detector contains around 1 microgram of Am. To make a RTG to power your home, with a thermal efficiency of 10% and an output requirement of 5 kW, you would need 500 kg of Am or 500 billion smoke detectors. Or you could just buy Americium from the source, google says it costs $1500/g. That comes out to $750,000,000. I doubt the world production rate of Am is that much though.

1. Can a home built beta cell or nuclear battery generate enough power to be useful?

It is possible for a home built beta cell or nuclear battery to generate enough power to be useful. However, the feasibility of this depends on the specific design and materials used. Factors such as the type of nuclear material, the efficiency of the conversion process, and the size of the battery all play a role in determining the power output.

2. Is it safe to have a nuclear battery in a home environment?

The safety of a nuclear battery in a home environment depends on the design and construction of the battery. Proper shielding and containment measures must be in place to prevent any radiation leakage. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations when handling and disposing of nuclear materials.

3. How long will a home built beta cell or nuclear battery last?

The lifespan of a home built beta cell or nuclear battery depends on the type and amount of nuclear material used, as well as the maintenance and care of the battery. Some nuclear materials have longer half-lives and can produce electricity for several years, while others may need to be replaced more frequently.

4. How much would it cost to build a home beta cell or nuclear battery?

The cost of building a home beta cell or nuclear battery can vary greatly depending on the design, materials, and complexity of the battery. It is important to consider not only the initial construction cost, but also the cost of maintenance, disposal of nuclear materials, and any necessary safety measures.

5. Are there any alternative renewable energy sources that would be more practical for home use?

While a home built beta cell or nuclear battery may be a potential source of renewable energy, there are other more practical and readily available options for home use, such as solar panels or wind turbines. These alternative sources may be more cost-effective and pose less safety and environmental concerns. It is important to weigh all factors when considering the feasibility of a home built beta cell or nuclear battery.