Feeling Like an Alien: Experiencing Life from a Different Perspective

• Thread starter Erazman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien
In summary: I don't know where I am...In summary, the conversation is about a feeling of disconnection from reality and a shift in perspective, often triggered by external stimuli such as walking down the street or being in a loud crowd. The feeling is described as a sudden surge of self-awareness and a sense of insignificance or helplessness. The individual compares it to deja vu and wonders if others have experienced something similar. They also discuss the possibility of trying drugs to explore these feelings further.
miamiroller said:
OMG! I thought i was alone! I thought i was the only one experiencing this! you don't understand! I am crying right now! No one would understand me! I definitely think this is a product of LSD. I did twice. last time was about a year and a half ago. I hated it. I now look at the world in a very ****ed up and twisted way. and the worst part is that it is depressssssing! The world around me looks sooo fake! especially the sky and the sun/sunlight. i feel like I am living in a toy world or something like that. these thoughts have only been appearing recently though, like about a week ago after taking amphetamines. but i do not doubt lsd was the first to bring it out and then the amphetamines just made it worse. will this ever go away?! i just want to live life and look at it the same way i used to! I've lost all nostalgia and i feel like if my city is alien and not as if I've grown up in it at all. i do not feel happy and cheerful during thanksgiving or the christmas spirit during christmas. they have now become plain regular days to me!

You definitely need to see a professional. I know you think we are crazy for not seeing your reality or the "true" reality of nature, but i am sure there are professionals that could bring you back firmly in this reality. You need help asap, do yourself a favour.

As a side note, i myself was once curious about the experience of other worlds under LSD and DMT, but I've now changed my mind. It's not worth the risk.

Physics news on Phys.org
WaveJumper said:
You definitely need to see a professional. I know you think we are crazy for not seeing your reality or the "true" reality of nature, but i am sure there are professionals that could bring you back firmly in this reality. You need help asap, do yourself a favour.

As a side note, i myself was once curious about the experience of other worlds under LSD and DMT, but I've now changed my mind. It's not worth the risk.

i mean i don't see it like that ALL the time, but like 50% of the time. it just gets depressing. i do feel like I am in the beetlejuice movie and i hate it. and please NO do not mess around with psychedelics, especially LSD OR DMT. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE RISK. Enjoy life the way it is, with all it's magic and mysteries. Once you do lsd and like drugs you will lose that forever! NOW i know what the saying "ignorance is bliss" truly means!

miamiroller said:
i mean i don't see it like that ALL the time, but like 50% of the time. it just gets depressing. i do feel like I am in the beetlejuice movie and i hate it. and please NO do not mess around with psychedelics, especially LSD OR DMT. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE RISK. Enjoy life the way it is, with all it's magic and mysteries. Once you do lsd and like drugs you will lose that forever! NOW i know what the saying "ignorance is bliss" truly means!

Was there anything specific in that trip that convinced you what you felt was as real as your everyday reality. I've felt like you in past without taking psychedelics, tranquilisers helped a lot. But if I ever felt i was losing grip, i'd head to a psychiatrist. You need to tell your friends/relatives of this so they can have an eye on you. Maybe if you could tell us some details, we can disperse your notions of true/fake reality and help you get back to your normal life in the meantime.

Last edited:
well at first, about a year and a half ago, the symptoms were that i started thinking that there was no such thing as a god, life was meaningless, etc..along with major anxiety and panic attacks, depression soon followed. this happened july of 2007. i got over all these symptoms by the end of that year. I was perfectly fine until last week, when i went on an mdma/amphetamine binge one night and now i feel like me and everyone in this world is real, but that the world itself is artificial. like the sky and sun. certain places and buildings make me feel the same way. makes me feel like I am living in the world of the movie beetlejuice. the streets i would drive through now no longer carry any warmth of familiarity, but now cold, odd, and alien. mind you, it's not extreme. it's mild, but it can still make me feel a little depressed. i hope it's just a temporary chemical imbalance that will clear up soon and will go back to normal. just like i got over those insane depressing thoughts of a godless, meaningless life full of anxiety and panic attacks, I'm sure and hope i will get over this soon.

Stay away form the amphetamines and see a doctor. You are setting yourself up for some very serious future problems.

My neighbors have a daughter with a genius IQ. She started feeling weird and using drugs while attending Sarah Lauwence College.

They spent 0ver $140,000 in tuition and the girl is now working in a used clothing store in NYC.